Newbie Stem Woes

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
wdteipen

Newbie Stem Woes

Post by wdteipen »

I'm working on an ABS saddle stem with a Delrin tenon. While shaping the saddle I just barely cut into the end of the tenon through the ABS. The epoxy is showing up as a small white line presently after sanding to 600 grit. Is there a way to cover this up or do I have to start over from scratch? I'm bummed. This stem was really looking good. I guess this can be a limiting factor for the use of Delrin tenons depending on the design of you saddle stem. Any advice is certainly welcome.
marks

Post by marks »

If you want to do a saddle stem with no decoration, you will need to start over. Otherwise, you can turn down the stem and put a decorative sleeve of some material to cover the error. I routinely do this to cover the delrin when using transluscent acrylic stem material. (Actually, this is just about as much work as starting over, though).

One way to avoid this in the future is to measure the depth of your interior mortise (the one in which you glue the delrin) and start your saddle beyond that point. The interior mortise does not have to be that deep to effectively hold the delrin. I generally go around 1/4 inch deep, little more or little less depending on the stem I am going to make.

Good luck.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Yep, I did that, too. Once. The burned hand teaches best.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I was afraid of that. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the responses.
Frank

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:Yep, I did that, too. Once. The burned hand teaches best.
Man, you had some strict teachers. Masturbation, and now burned hands! :shock:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett