Scofield Pipes "Shield"

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

Scofield Pipes "Shield"

Post by bscofield »

What do you all think? This is my first planned free-hand (as oppposed to accidental ones :D ) It took me a while even though I messed up in the first 20 minutes. I drilled the mortise crooked. But I decided to go on and make the best of it and see what kind of pipe I could make myself from it. So I followed through with my original plan and this is what I came up with. What do you think?

JMB

Post by JMB »

Great looking Pipe. Looks like it should be in the hand of a Viking or some Royal Knight. Has the shield and all.
marks

Post by marks »

Very imaginative. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Nice pipe.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Pretty cool bud!!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

So aside from asthetics, rustication, etc... what's everyone think of the design? I'm wondering whether or not this could/would turn into a "line" of same shaped pipes...

I was wondering about submitting it to the contest... hmm...?
Nick

Post by Nick »

When you said shield, I was thinking along the lines of Bo's shield. I'm planning on giving that shape a try some time. So I came into the forum expecting somthing a bit different. To me it looked like a billiard or apple with a plate stuck on the front of it. Once I got past my expectations, I started to appriciate the pipe a bit more. Its a very cool shape. I'm not sure I like the rustication. It seems to create two separate articles in the pipe. Here's the pipe on one side and the shield on the other. Was this what you were going for? Rustcationg the whole pipe might give you more of a "whole" appearance.

Just my two cents.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I'm not sure I like the rustication. It seems to create two separate articles in the pipe. Here's the pipe on one side and the shield on the other. Was this what you were going for?
Well... I wasn't going for 2 seperate articles. But the rustication was intended to be a kind of "before and after" if you will. Not as we know the process of creating a pipe... Let me put it this way, the other name I considered for the pipe was "Birth" To kind of say that the pipe was emerging from the rest of the wood. So 2 seperate articles...? not really what I was going for. But not 1 flowing object necessarily either.

To be honest, at least when I was naming this pipe, I had forgotten about Bo's "shield." Maybe I should change the name to "Shielded"
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I don't see that as a illustration of the carving process at all. If the idea is to show the process of carving then I would suggest not finishing the shield part to such a degree. With that area polished it looks as though it is meant to suggest a finished area of the pipe. If the entire area of the pipe is finished then.... where is the process? The work is already done and we missed it.

The only issue that really jumps out at me is the stem and shank transition. I think it is too beefy. If that line was more crisp then the non-shield portion of the pipe would have a more confident and deliberate look. That would also help to further separate the two (shield and non-shield) parts.

I am afraid that this will come across as sharper than I intend. I think your idea is a good one. I just wanted to give you my interpretation of this pipe as it relates to your idea of birth or showing the process.

That and I am anal about the shank transition. :)
Last edited by ArtGuy on Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

John, That didn't sound sharp at all! Thanks for the tips. That was something I hadn't considered, how to really get the "pipe" part to really stand out from the rest of the wood...

Thanks!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I think you should make sure the lines of the unfinished part do not at all follow with the finished area. Right now they do and is causing it to look too much like a single finished piece. Think of something more like this....

I'm not so much suggesting changing this pipe but perhaps keep something like this in mind for the next one.
Last edited by ArtGuy on Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munkey

Post by munkey »

Very interesting pipe. I enjoy seeing all the different things you come up with.

I would second the comment about stem/shank/bowl transition. If you look at the pipe as a whole, after the stem, the shank seems to buldge a bit. I would shape the stem/shank junction together and not be affraid to take off material from both portions at the same time, which might lead to a smoother flow.

-Scott
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

The more I look at the pics (haven't checked the actual item yet) the more I see I didn't do what I thought I did... which was to continue and do my best on a pipe that I knew I messed up early on :?

Se la vi... I might re-do it since I'm out of briar (except for "Frankenpipe").

On another note, I might have found a local guy selling briar. He has it listed on his website as something he sells. I tried to email him to see if he has some in stock. The picture on the website was a eubichon but if I could look in person, and the prices were decent it could be great to have a local place.