Cheaper Than A Tenon Turner

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
AirrikWeaver

Post by AirrikWeaver »

do you guys think that this would work to turn a stem on? i have a pimo tenon turner and a drill press but i do not hav e alath to do any stem design. what do you guys think?
Frank

Post by Frank »

AirrikWeaver wrote:do you guys think that this would work to turn a stem on? i have a pimo tenon turner and a drill press but i do not hav e alath to do any stem design. what do you guys think?
You'd need a really steady hand to accurately turn a tenon with that device. Bear in mind, you'll still be turning freehand, as if on a wood lathe.
On consideration, I would take Kurt's approach. Make a delrin tenon and grind/file/sand the stem to shape.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Before I got a wood lathe, lo those many years ago, I used to make turned stems by putting in a delrin tenon, then inserting the tenon into the drill press's chuck and using files and sandpaper to shape the stem.

I do *not* suggest this method to anyone. It's a serious PITA, and will make you want to club yourself to death with a baby seal.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JBW

Post by JBW »

KurtHuhn wrote:.......club yourself to death with a baby seal.
All those diapers I had to change when the wife wasn't around and now they got seals???????????????? :shock:

:wink:
Joel