Cheaper Than A Tenon Turner

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Frank

Cheaper Than A Tenon Turner

Post by Frank »

If you don't have a lathe, this thingy is cheaper than a tenon turner, but you need a really steady hand: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dplathe.html
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
flix

Post by flix »

Hey, Frank,

Have you used this or know of anyone who has? It's sure tempting for po' folk like me...who would like to get into stem making but don't have the bucks (and have a drill press, that is).

Thanks for the link,

--Michael
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I don't think there's any way that would work for turning tenons.

If it did, then everyone who has a wood lathe could turn tenons on it.

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

flix wrote:Hey, Frank,

Have you used this or know of anyone who has? It's sure tempting for po' folk like me...who would like to get into stem making but don't have the bucks (and have a drill press, that is).
RadDavis wrote:I don't think there's any way that would work for turning tenons.

If it did, then everyone who has a wood lathe could turn tenons on it.
I have a metal lathe, but I just happened to notice this item in one of my recent catalogues. I have heard of some guys who turn their bench drills on the side & use it that way.

I think it must be possible to turn tenons on a wood lathe, since Kurt does not have a metal lathe, to my knowledge. Otherwise, how does he turn tenons?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Hang on, hang on, I need to make some popcorn.

:)
Frank

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:Hang on, hang on, I need to make some popcorn.

LOL. Shaddap, Jack!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

That gizmo just creates a psuedo wood lathe tool rest for a drill press. There is no way to create a consistent diameter on the tenon. You need an inexact Pimo tenon tool at least, a metal type lathe really. Delrin, dude, if you're wood lathing.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

JHowell wrote:Hang on, hang on, I need to make some popcorn.

Jack, you owe me a new keyboard. This one is soaked in coffee. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frank wrote:I think it must be possible to turn tenons on a wood lathe, since Kurt does not have a metal lathe, to my knowledge. Otherwise, how does he turn tenons?
It's possible, but it's far from ideal. I used to turn tenons all the time on my wood lathe, until I found delrin - it's way more precise and repeatable. And faster.

Should Rad and I start the next round of The Great Lathe Debate now? :twisted:

Actually, that would be a little hypocritical of me considering that some time in August I'll be dragging home that South Band 9C that Jack posted.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thanks for the link,

--Michael
Dude.. delrin! You shouldn't have much trouble using it to get around the fact you're short a lathe.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dude! Don't talk about Kurt's short lathe and such. It makes him self conscious.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

KurtHuhn wrote:

Actually, that would be a little hypocritical of me considering that some time in August I'll be dragging home that South Band 9C that Jack posted.
Great God almighty! Kurt is free at last! :P

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:Actually, that would be a little hypocritical of me considering that some time in August I'll be dragging home that South Band 9C that Jack posted.
OMG!! Now the man will really be impossible to live with. :twisted: He's crossing over to the dark side.
The Tenonites and Delrinites must prepare for war. There will be blood!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And you two can chip on yet another keyboard - this one is soaked in water and chicken sandwich. :D

What can I say? I figure if I plan to get serious about stems, I'm going to have get a metal lathe to do the stuff that takes a lot of time on a wood lathe. Yes, after years of resistance, I finally caved. And the fact that it's a nice old South Bend helped a little. If Jack hadn't offered that one up, I'd still be saving for a BD920 or something - and periodically spending that saved cash on something else.... :banghead:
Last edited by KurtHuhn on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
flix

Post by flix »

hazmat wrote:

Thanks for the link,

--Michael
Dude.. delrin! You shouldn't have much trouble using it to get around the fact you're short a lathe.
Dude! I have delrin, but, how do you drill it on a drill press accurately? I'll get around to trying it some day, when I've got my gumption level up to snuff... ;)
Frank

Post by Frank »

flix wrote:Dude! I have delrin, but, how do you drill it on a drill press accurately? I'll get around to trying it some day, when I've got my gumption level up to snuff... ;)
This little vise might work: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store ... __pen_vise
I also suggest giving ABS a try instead of delrin. It drills much easier.

:twak: Rumour has it the Absyluxians are already arming themselves. Kurt & I will start sharpening blades forthwith. :fencing:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
jeff

Post by jeff »

KurtHuhn wrote:
Frank wrote:I think it must be possible to turn tenons on a wood lathe, since Kurt does not have a metal lathe, to my knowledge. Otherwise, how does he turn tenons?
It's possible, but it's far from ideal. I used to turn tenons all the time on my wood lathe, until I found delrin - it's way more precise and repeatable. And faster.

Should Rad and I start the next round of The Great Lathe Debate now? :twisted:

Huh! And just as I was seriously considering selling off the metal lathes and using my drill press. ;-)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote: Huh! And just as I was seriously considering selling off the metal lathes and using my drill press. ;-)
Neo-tribal pipe making?

You could rough shape with a pedal-powered grinding stone - or use a trained helper beaver to gnaw away the wood. :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:Neo-tribal pipe making?

You could rough shape with a pedal-powered grinding stone - or use a trained helper beaver to gnaw away the wood. :twisted:
:shock: Beaver?? I'm training borer beetles to chew out the airway and wood worm to work on the chamber. I can wait. :lol:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wouldn't it be really cool to have a nano-tech robot borer that you could program and the he would drill you an airway that could have all sorts of freaky curves!?