Does tobacco decompose?

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Tano

Does tobacco decompose?

Post by Tano »

Twice I've experienced this and i don't know if it is the actual texture of the tobacco or something has gone wrong.
I opened a tin of Penzance, it didn't feel as though it was vacuumed sealed like most other tins. I don't remember whether I previously opened it, but the texture of the flakes were not firm. The tobacco although moist crumbled consistently into powdery flakes when handling it. I had another recent experience with a year old tin of Half and Half: Before opening the 14 oz. can I noticed that there was a one inch gouge in the wall of the tin. I was expecting dry tobacco but no, it was moist but again it was fine fine texture, no body to it.
Are these characteristics of these brands or has the tobacco changed in texture because of possible exposure to air?
Has anybody experienced this?
All the best,
Tano
Xped

Re: Does tobacco decompose?

Post by Xped »

Tano wrote:Twice I've experienced this and i don't know if it is the actual texture of the tobacco or something has gone wrong.
I opened a tin of Penzance, it didn't feel as though it was vacuumed sealed like most other tins. I don't remember whether I previously opened it, but the texture of the flakes were not firm. The tobacco although moist crumbled consistently into powdery flakes when handling it. I had another recent experience with a year old tin of Half and Half: Before opening the 14 oz. can I noticed that there was a one inch gouge in the wall of the tin. I was expecting dry tobacco but no, it was moist but again it was fine fine texture, no body to it.
Are these characteristics of these brands or has the tobacco changed in texture because of possible exposure to air?
Has anybody experienced this?
I can only speak on the Penzance...and what you've described is perfectly normal for this blend of tobacco. It's not really a flake per se...it's more of a krumble cake.

And, it's YUMMY!!!!!! :D
Luvin' life...

Bryan.