New Scofield Pipe - Puente

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

New Scofield Pipe - Puente

Post by bscofield »

I have a new pipe available. This pipe was a great way to show off some of the incredible grain in the heartwood of the Wild Olive that I have.

I'm also proud to have completed this pipe before Hollywood finished another 10 pipes :D

Can check it out on my website:

http://www.scofieldpipes.com/categories ... puente.php

Here's a few Pics as well:

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ben --

I'm looking at your pipe and "feelin' it," as the saying goes, but here's something to keep in mind with the wedgy bit aesthetic: Next to broken tenons and general rejuvenation/refurbs, my highest demand is customers either wanting me to slenderize an existing stem, or make an entirely new one that's more comfortable. It's a non-stop drumbeat. The more affluent the collector---guys who go after Barbis and Bangs and so forth---the more likely they are to notice and care about it, too. (And such people are the ones you want to attract, yes?)

They don't have to be more fragile, either. Parallel (as opposed to a wedge) is more important than actual thinness when it comes to perceived size. Also, squared off sides are widely disliked in my experience. Mouths are extremely sensitive to angles and edges.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I may misunderstand what you mean by the whole wedge term. I'm not sure if your overall comment is regarding the size, but it's actually a pretty thin at the bit (.17 if I recall). Given the term "wedge" I suppose you may be saying that the stem does not slim down fast enough or at too great of an angle, yes?

I also examined the bit for sharp edges, a standard practice. I certainly agree, there is nothing fun about the side of your mouth being cut or dug into by a sharp bit!!
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Say Wha'!? :lol:

Nice looking pipe, Ben! I really like it. You have really captured the right way to pull off a big extension. I've seen so many that just didn't seem to work; but this ones does for whatever reason.

I do have agree with the stem idea. I like the shape, but think maybe it should be a bit thinner in it's transition.
Dave-
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Ben,

Overall that's a nice looking pipe! Nice work!

I think you got what George was talking about. The thinness behind the button is good, but it's the thinness just beyond that that's important.

If your stem thickness expands too quickly from the button, it'll seem like it's trying to push its way out of your teeth whenever you're clenching it.

You want a much more gradual increase in the thickness from the button toward the shank.

Tom Eltang told me at Chicago 2005, "You want a much more gradual taper in your stems. Stick it in your mouth and see how it feels. If it's not comfortable for you, it won't be comfortable for anyone else."

Rad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

bscofield wrote:Given the term "wedge" I suppose you may be saying that the stem does not slim down fast enough or at too great of an angle, yes?

Yes. The rate of divergence. Not only does the bit feel as thick as it is where teeth make contact (which is a lot thicker than just behind the button), but the whole "slope" thing and minimal contact area make such pipes feel insecure when clamped. They tend to spin side-to-side.

I've worked on quite a few super high grades, and their stems are remarkably similar. The button design may be peculiar to the maker, but the dimensions aren't. It isn't a coincidence, I don't think, since those are the shapes/sizes/designs that people keep wanting to add to their lower grade pipes.

Here's an example. A customer wanted his new Ashton to feel more like one of his pricey Danish pipes when clenched:

ImageImageImageImage
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Ben

Fine looking work. I love the transition wood. All the stem talk makes sense, but overall, I really like your work.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Beautiful pipe! Love the wood extension.