s&d bit troubles

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Matt is correct, he is looking for the long bits, and, Jamestown Distrib. does carry them, a tad cheaper tham McM-C: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... int+Drills
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

yeah sorry to change the topic a tad.

Still not getting the right shape on the S&D bit's I'm going to order one from trent and see how it's done. Thanks for all the help as always guys.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Glad ya found it. Those are buggers to get your hands on for some reason. When I was first looking, I went to nearly every single local hardware store, only to be met with mostly blank stares.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Hi guys, this is my first post and also the reason I finally quit lurking and joined the forum: You can always make your own long taper bits by brazing a short one to a piece of drill rod or music wire the same size as the bit. Quick and relatively easy if you've got a propane torch and some hard silver solder, same principle as brazed carbide tooling. It's also the only way I could think of to use a taper bit on a churchwarden stem I did last month.

Now then, by way of introduction, I'm an archaeologist/bureaucrat by profession, a blacksmith/knifemaker by moneymaking hobby, pipe smoker for 19 years, and aspiring low-end pipe maker. :wink: I've been lurking on this forum for over a year, and finally saw something I could contribute. Hope it helps someone!

-Alan
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Thanks a ton Alan! And Welcome to the forum. Great idea on the taper bit.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hiya Alan! Welcome!
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Thanks, guys!

Here's the aforementioned churchwarden I had to make the extra-long taper bit for:

The white spacer is antler.