About challenge

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

VERY cool big guy! I really like it. Would love to see some more pictures.
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

WOW!

Now that's quite a unique pipe, and I can't begin to imagine the work that went into that one!

Great work!

john
jeff

Post by jeff »

Random
This pipe is absolutely beautiful. The photos really show it off well. The ring adds alot to the look as does the extension of the rusticated ridge back below the stem. However (cue: criticism), it appears that this extension is part of the briar, which really is beautiful, but it I am concerned that it risks either a) blocking the removal of the stem as it cannot be twisted, or b) breaking off when removing the stem.

Here's a question for you. What method of rustication did you use on this pipe? It really looks great. I like the appearance of the smooth, rounded peaks instead of the rough, rocky ones that my main method produces. Thanks.

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I tell you what, tho I'm not sure if I like the style, the pipe is AWESOME. I'm undecided on the raised rustication but yours look good. The beauty of the pipe and the time that went into come through incredibly. You have so many unique features to this pipe that I it'll sell very fast.

What's the price tag anyway?
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

random wrote: I like the feeling of "community" for lack of a better word, folks involved in the same craft all trying to help each other. That's a good thing, and not something you find everywhere.
In this one statement, Random has summed up what I consider to be the strength of this site. I'm honored to have come in contact with all the wonderful people here and I'm a better person because of it. The world at large could leaarn a thing or two from what we have going here.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
marks

Post by marks »

Been out of town at a conference for a week, or I would have posted earlier on this...

Outstanding. Very clean line between the rounded and panel portion of the shank. The raised rustication really looks good as well. This is becoming your style, and for me it is quite an appealing style. From the pictures of this and other pipes, you must spend hours sanding the bowl interior.
JMB

Post by JMB »

random: I am far from being a expert on Pipes, well maybe Oil Field Drilling Pipe. Before I new that Pipe Makers use "rustication" to hide sand pit's & other things, I look at at Pipe with "rustication" as being a really nice add on to a Pipe. I thought "hey cool" this dude has it together, not just a run of the mill Pipe Maker, he knows new stuff. I have a Karl Eric & a J M Boswell with "spot rustication" on them. That is the reason I bought them. IMO "rustication" add to the Pipe. I still feel that way now that I know the reason behind it "sometimes".

[quote="
On the other hand there are those who consider it "spot rustication" and believe that to be a bad thing.