2nd pipe and need some help ....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hollywood

2nd pipe and need some help ....

Post by hollywood »

Hey all. Getting close to finishing No. 2; and I need your input. Now it's not near finished, but I'm on the fence whether to chuck it or not. :(

Does the shape work well? Does the shank need to be about 1/2" shorter? I know it needs another stem as I torched this one. :shock:

Dave-
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's tough to tell from the photos, but the length of the shank looks fine. Personally, I suggest finishing it. When you're just starting out, you should never toss a block or partially finished pipe (barring catastrophic failure) because each finished pipe is a learning experience and builds familiarity with the process. Maybe you don't give them to anyone, but you should always finish them.

You will reach a point where you toss a fair percentage of blocks or half-finished pipes, but they'll be due to things like catastrophic flaws that show up last minute, not because you don't like the way a shank sits or the bottom of a bowl curves.

Based on the photos I'd say you're on the right track. Ignore the flaws and keep going.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I agree with Kurt. That is good work for a second pipe. I don't even see where you torched the stem. Polish it up and you'll have a nice give away for a friend or a shop pipe for you. On to #3
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Oh gosh, I can sure remember that same feeling of getting discouraged and wondering if it was worth finishing, but like Kurt says, it's very worthwhile to finish everything at first unless it just becomes impossible. And this one is especially a keeper! This is a very challenging shape to tackle on your second pipe, and I think it shows considerable promise still, even with the stem. I don't see where the problems are that would prevent you from wanting to finish it, other than realizing it won't be what you had orignally hoped! If your learning process is anything like most of the rest of us, I'm afraid you may need to get used to that for a while :cry:

That's what you get for having your first pipe turn out so well :twisted:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yea, finish it. For pipe number 2, this is darn nice!
flix

Post by flix »

It looks like you're too close to the finish to stop now. Finish it up and post some pictures. Good work!
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Ok, Ok! I'll stop whining already! :lol: Poop is obviously something that happens to every carver. Especially early on. I just had to get over myself and finish it and move on. Here it is with a new stem and a little polish. The shape changed so much due to a huge fissure and twig that was embedded in one side of the block. Yes ... and actually little twig! Was so wierd!

Anyway. Here she is in all her ugliness! :wink:

Dave-