Microplanes?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hazmat

Microplanes?

Post by hazmat »

Anybody ever use these for rough shaping?

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tried it once. Problem is, briar is really, really dense and hard. Those things don't really care for wood that dense.

They work a treat on parmesan cheese though. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:They work a treat on parmesan cheese though. :)
:lol: Yep, they're great for grating.

On most woods you tend to get tear out, especially if you use them across the grain.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I'm cryin over here :lol: Yeah, I kinda figured the weren't worth it for briar. Just doing some drooling..er... cruising around the woodcraft site and thought I'd ask.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

My opinion: The best tools for hand shaping, of which I do a lot, are the Nicholson 49 and 50 pattermakers rasps, which have random set teeth for a smoother cut with less grooving. There are some German ones, I forget the name, that are supposed to be even better, but they're very expensive. The Nicholsons are dear enough. The problem with the microplanes, in addition to their tendency to skip on hard wood, is how much skin they remove when you slip and hit yourself. The rasps hurt but don't take as much of a sample.
flix

Post by flix »

$120/set at Garrett Wade. Good grief, that's expensive for files!
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Garret Wade is about the most expensive catalog. Rockler and Woodcraft have them for about $50 each. Still expensive, but will last for years. I'm on my second one (49, I think), and still have the first one for when I get around to trying chemical sharpening. I got the idea to use them reading a book by Sam Maloof. They cut both smoothly and aggressively, both briar and vulcanite -- not a tool for everyone, and I wouldn't have mentioned them except the Microplanes came up.