motor for sanding

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

hazmat wrote:Kurt.. one more :?: and I think I'll have all I need to get started on this. How did you mount everything up? Did you just bolt the pillow blocks and motor to a workstation or did you set the thing up as a stand-alone unit? I've seen soooo many various setups for these types of things and have a general idea of which direction I'm going, just not real solid on that. I have limited space and don't want to get more elaborate than I have to. Thanks!!!
I did a standalone unit, with the motor mounted underneath, as Frank described. That way I can move it around the workshop and get to all sides of it. I also made one end of the shaft a sanding station, while the other is a buffing station. Saves some space in my tiny cave of a workshop.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Frank wrote:Matt, Kurt can fill in the other details for you, but I thought I'd mention a handy setup arrangement. If you mount the motor on a hinged board underneath the pillow block setup, then gravity will take care of belt tension, making belt changes for speed change very easy. If this description doesn't make sense I'll post a sketch, unless Kurt or Jack beat me to it. :lol:
I know exactly what you're talking about. My Taig motor is mounted along the same lines. I've seen this type of setup but have also seen a few that have the motors mounted behind the shaft, so I wasn't sure which was easiest/best/recommended. I have an old workstation that my lathe used to sit on but I think I can modify it to be used for a setup like this. I'm kinda psyched now!!!!