burning of the airhole

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
timothy thorpe

burning of the airhole

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, what causes the burning of the airhole when drilling? is it that the bit is dull, speed is to high? please help!!

thanks, tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dull bits could do it, though you'd know if the bit was dull because it would be hard to advance the bit.

High speed could do it. Speed + friction = heat.

But, the number one cause of burning while drilling holes (in anything) is not clearing the chips as you drill. I typically remove the bit fully several times as I drill an airway. The chips and dust that get caught in the flutes of the bit will rub against the wall of the airway, and as more chips and dust build up, pressure against the airway wall builds. And again, speed+friction=heat. It might not be the drill bit's fault, it might just be that you need to clear the bit more often.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

KurtHuhn wrote:Dull bits could do it, though you'd know if the bit was dull because it would be hard to advance the bit.

High speed could do it. Speed + friction = heat.

But, the number one cause of burning while drilling holes (in anything) is not clearing the chips as you drill. I typically remove the bit fully several times as I drill an airway. The chips and dust that get caught in the flutes of the bit will rub against the wall of the airway, and as more chips and dust build up, pressure against the airway wall builds. And again, speed+friction=heat. It might not be the drill bit's fault, it might just be that you need to clear the bit more often.
wow! i never thought of that. so go into the wood alittle then take the bit out and blow the chips out?

thanks,tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Pretty much. Just the act of pulling the bit out will clear the chips pretty well. If any seem compressed onto the drill bit, clear them off with a brush of your finger.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

KurtHuhn wrote:Pretty much. Just the act of pulling the bit out will clear the chips pretty well. If any seem compressed onto the drill bit, clear them off with a brush of your finger.
great!! thanks hurt. i love the fluted shank billiard that steve lang posted on sf. nice work!!!!
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:If any seem compressed onto the drill bit, clear them off with a brush of your finger.
If you've lingered in the hole a tad long (OK guys, no smutty innuendos) you might need to loosen the compressed chips with the point of a small nail.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

Frank wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:If any seem compressed onto the drill bit, clear them off with a brush of your finger.
If you've lingered in the hole a tad long (OK guys, no smutty innuendos) you might need to loosen the compressed chips with the point of a small nail.
LOL!! yes i my have said something there. thanks for the help hurt!!

tim
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

If you do burn the airhole, which we all have done, I take some denatured alcohol or some Vodka on a pipe cleaner and try to clean all the burn out of there. Don't want it mucking up the flavor or your tobacco.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

I guess the same method that applies to plastic applies to the wood also. lol.