neat trick

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Nick

neat trick

Post by Nick »

OK, so I was working on this pipe. Things seemed to be lining up really well. But there was this darn sliver of light that kept shining through between the shank and stem. No matter what i did, it was still there. So I started thinking outside the box. What I wanted to know is where this bastard was getting hung up. On my workbench, along with a wide assortment of other crap, was a little bottle of yellow finger paint. Don't ask me why it was there, i have no idea. So it hit me as i was staring at the workbench. I smeared a bit of paint on the face of the stem and put the pipe together. pull it apart and there was a nice little smearing right around the mortise. A little sanding, a bit more paint, a bit more sanding and darn if that thing didn't look great!
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Nick

thanks for that idea. I hate it when that happens. Now I bet I can use your method and keep my hair from being pulled out.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
flix

Post by flix »

That's a great tip! Thanks!
souljer

Post by souljer »

I use the same idea but with graphite powder.

Just dip the tenon in and then insert into the mortise. You'll see a grey shiny spot where the parts are rubbing.

If you think the problem is not in the mortise but up by the shank face, then just apply a little to the shank face and see where the parts are rubbing. That's the high point.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art