Recommended non-sweet varieties

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
MitchG

Post by MitchG »

Pook,
Tough one to answer without more info on what your tastes run to, blend-wise. There are a whole bunch of non-aromatic mixes available, but...do you like straight Virginia 'baccy? VA + Perique mixes? Burley? I take it that SWMBO is not fond of Latakia blends, even the mild ones. No surprises there, as many non-smokers dislike the aroma of Latakia. Well, I'll give it a shot......

McClelland's 5100 (bulk) is a good straight ribbon-cut red VA, smooth and affordable.
McCranie's Red Ribbon also falls into the top-line straight VA ribbon category.
McClelland's 2015, also bulk, is a well done VA/Perique broken flake blend with just enough spice to make it interesting.
One of my favorite VA/Periques is Fox's Dorisco Mixture, but it's pretty heavy on the Perique and has a touch of Latakia, so it may only be suitable for outdoor smoking for you, if you're looking for Perique in the mix. :)
Orlik Golden Slices is a very tasty VA flake, with a light topping (not sweet) and a very pleasant room aroma.
Rattray's Marlin Flake is perhaps the quintessential VA flake tobacco. You can hardly do better in a straight VA flake.
MacBaren London Burley Blend, broken flake, is one of the better straight Burleys out there. Not sweet, very nutty and rich, with a pleasant taste and smell. Try it in a cob for an awesome smoke!
MacB's Navy Flake is a tasty VA/Burley blend, and reasonably priced.
You'd be hard-pressed to find a better Burley blend than Greg Pease's "Barbary Coast". As with everything from GLP, it's quality all the way.

I think those might meet your criteria. Of course I've not mentioned, Escudo, Dunhill Light Flake, Rattray Brown Clunee, Astley 109, GLP Haddo's Delight and a whole slew of others that might fit the bill. I'll leave them, and others, for you to discover. After all, that's a big part of the enjoyment of smoking a pipe!

If you haven't found http://www.tobaccoreviews.com, then check it out. Probably the best review sight on the Web.

Happy smoking!

Mitch
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I suggest trying some of the Esoterica blends. There are a wide variety of good blends to choose from and several should fit your criteria for cut.

Margate is a great tobacco and is ribbon cut. Dunbar is a broken flake that is quite tasty. If you want to try something unique, I remember Greg Pease mentioning a 50/50 mixture of Blackpool and Dorchester that he called "Blackchester." This blend really tames the flavor of the Blackpool.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.