Wierd idea

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Wierd idea

Post by Nick »

OK, so the old brain was just wandering about as it often does. I was thinking about pipes, and the airflow and such. I thought about Random's old one piece pipes, and what a neat idea it was. But the draw back as i remember was that the bit had to be thick, or the draw poor, because your airway would be one size the whole length. No fun!

But the silly guy in my head, who questions everything, said to me, why? Why does it have to be the same size? Well, after several hairbrained schemes flashed through my head about how you could make the diameter bigger behind the button. Each as nutty as the next. But then, it occured to me that maybe the draft hole doesn't have to be round? What if you widened the whole length of the draft hole in the same way you made the slot in the button? Kinda wierd maybe, but you'd overcome the problems. It'd probably work better with a rounded bowl.

Well, I just thought i'd toss that out there. Ya'll can tell me I'm crazy. Maybe even slap me around. Its OK.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Or maybe drilled all the way through with two smaller diameter bits? Double-barreled blunderbuss?

Either way I consider it, I still prefer a single tapering airway with a removable stem.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sir_Saartan

Re: Wierd idea

Post by Sir_Saartan »

Pipes that are out of round move less air than a round one. there are complicated physical experiments
that you can google, but the simple answer is: if your airway isn't round, you need to increase its
size by quite a bit.

Another reason if you're working with anything with thin walls: a round object will always stand up better
against pressure. Your pipe would break a lot easier.

So this might work on short stubby pipes (some nosewarmers) but in general the disadvantages
in my opinion aren't worth it.
The Tan Saarlander