30-ish year old Algerian ebouchons anyone? - UPDATE: NO DEAL

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Tyler
Site Supporter

30-ish year old Algerian ebouchons anyone? - UPDATE: NO DEAL

Post by Tyler »

When I was first getting into pipemaking about 7 years ago, there was a crotchety old man here in town that made pipes. I was able to visit with him a few times and show him my first pipe from a kit. He had bags of old pre-embargo Algerian briar, and I was going to exchange some labor for some of it. Well unfortunately he got ill and passed shortly thereafter. I tried with no luck to get ahold of his son several months later in hopes of buying the briar.

Fast forward 7 years, and today I happened to be driving by the old man's shop. There was a guy out front taking stuff out of the shop. On a whim I stopped and asked if he was the son. He was, and he let me look through the shop which has not been touched in the last seven years. Pipes laying everywhere, and briar, briar, briar. He said he'd sell it to me.

So...I don't need that much briar. Anyone want some OLD ebouchons for say $2-ish a block? I have not made a pipe from it, so I cannot vouch for it. I hope to at least get some samples in the coming weeks, but before I go further I want to poll for interest. At the rate I make pipes these days about the last thing I need to do is buy a few hundred blocks of briar and not be able to unload a big chunk of it.

Anyone?

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Tyler,

I sent emails to both addresses that I have for you. One or both have bounced in the past. Please email me.

Rad
Danskpibemager

Interested in Briar

Post by Danskpibemager »

Tyler,
I would be very interested in the briar you picked up. I sent emails to your available addresses plus this post. Please email me! Thanks!
Kevin
BD

Post by BD »

Tyler,

I would be very interested!

Bill
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

I don't know, $2-ish per block seems kinda steep. :lol:

But yeah, if you're looking to see who's interested, I'd sure be in for a few.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Sent an email.

Thx
Kim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Interested. Email sent.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Oh yeah. He also said he had a few hundred pre-formed stems.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The stems are definitely of interest to me, Tyler.

Please let me know what to do / who to contect next. (If you'd rather use email than post such info, the contact page on my site will make it easy. I check it several times a day.)

Thanks! 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Sounds like an interesting opportunity, Tyler. I'm very interested too. E-mail sent. My guess is you'll have no problem disposing of anything you don't want at $2 a pop, especially with all the interest here.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Hey Tyler, if you have some left after everyone elses order, I'm interested! Everyone else that orders before me that is, not everyone else that orders...
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

OK, well, I guess the response has answered my question. Now I feel sort of bad actually. The response has been so overwhelming I apparently underestimated the value of the briar. I don't want to hose the guy.

At any rate, I'll be buying the briar. It is clear that I can off-load the extra. If you haven't already posted, then unfortunately you missed out. If you have already posted, I'll take things in the order of posts/emails. I can't guarantee briar to all that have already posted. I'll confess that I'd prefer to mail four packages instead of 16, so that may influence things. I promise I'll do my best to be fair.

LatakiaLover, you have been to only one interested in stems so far (though I did post that late). I suspect there are a few hundred of them, but I haven't seen them. I'll get back to you.

Thanks guys.

Tyler
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Uh, Rad said I could have his!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tyler, I would also be interested in stems, but if LL wants the whole batch, he gets priority.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Tyler, for what I've seen of these old ebauchons, I don't think you underpriced them by much, if at all. If you were guaranteeing sizes and shapes and weeding out warped/cracked blocks and offering returns, you might get $3 or $4. For sight unseen, the guy wants to get it gone, I think you're about right. I started with a bunch of this briar from a place called Online Pipes -- $4 was the most I paid for fairly large blocks. Granted, that was 2000-01, but a plateau block could be $20 back then too. I think the positive response reflects a good deal and a limited-time opportunity rather than a hosing of the seller.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

KurtHuhn wrote:Tyler, I would also be interested in stems, but if LL wants the whole batch, he gets priority.
Roger that, Kurt. I'll keep you in the stem loop too.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

JHowell wrote:Tyler, for what I've seen of these old ebauchons, I don't think you underpriced them by much, if at all. If you were guaranteeing sizes and shapes and weeding out warped/cracked blocks and offering returns, you might get $3 or $4. For sight unseen, the guy wants to get it gone, I think you're about right. I started with a bunch of this briar from a place called Online Pipes -- $4 was the most I paid for fairly large blocks. Granted, that was 2000-01, but a plateau block could be $20 back then too. I think the positive response reflects a good deal and a limited-time opportunity rather than a hosing of the seller.
That makes me feel better Jack. I didn't think I was hosing him until I got overwhelmed with requests for the wood. I think you are right, it is just a matter of a fair limited-time opportunity that is a good enough deal to take a risk on.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jack hit the nail on the head, Tyler. It's just a timely offering, I think. Plus, it's already in the US, so nobody has to deal with APHIS getting the wood imported - I personally know that can be a royal pain.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ckr

Post by ckr »

Hi Tyler,
The forum e-mail seems to be stuck in the out box, so if you have some/any left I would certainly appreciate a few also.

If so, press my email button and we can work out any details.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

So I made an offer to the fellow, and he said he had researched the value of the blocks, and had over estimated their value to me when we previously spoke. He then went on to say that his father was very particular with what blocks he bought, and that he had other plans for the briar.

No counter offer. No deal.

I have no idea what to think. Perhaps eBay? If anyone starts to see lots of old ebouchons on eBay, let me know.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Tyler