Pipemaking: Most Difficult Aspect

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

Pipemaking: Most Difficult Aspect

Post by ToddJohnson »

Hey Guys,

Six years on at this thing and certain memories start to fade, like what were the most frustrating and difficult aspects of your early forays into pipemaking. So, this is the question I put to you. What sorts of things do you find particularly difficult to master? Do you have sourcing issues like I did? In an ideal world, what would be most helpful to you?

Todd

STOA Briars
www.stoabriars.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Todd,

This is a good question. Most frustrating to me when I first started was a lack of how-to information. Trever's site filled the role of trainer and tutor for me, but I was anxious for all I could find, and frustrated that there wasn't more.

Next to that, the most difficult aspect of pipemaking actually remains in place for me, that is the acquisition of materials of high quality. While it is rather easy to find mediocre materials, finding the best stuff requires much effort, homeowrk, and a certain amount of knowing the right people.

Tyler
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

I'm with Random - the entire process is difficult!

Luckily I found this site prior to making my first pipe, so learning was made quite a bit easier due to this wonderful resource!

I've only made 7 pipes, but I'm still having the same major problem (and it's really starting to p*** me off! I invariably cut too deep with the coping saw when I make the cuts between shank and bowl, and basically mess up the whole shape trying to correct the self-inflicted problem. Perhaps after a hundred or so pipes I'll get this right....
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

If I turn them to optimal shape, length, etc... it invariably fits loose when I finish smooting and polishing the thing. If I leave enough material for finishing, it invariably takes FOREVER to get the stem to fit smoothly and more often than not I goof up an edge or angle in the process.
Gee, and I thought that only happened to me!
marks

Post by marks »

The hardest part for me is getting the shank/bowl junction right. I usually leave too much wood in that area, and it is the one thing that I have had the hardest time with. I believe that more practice is in order. :)
JMB

Post by JMB »

random has a good idea, use a "chain saw" file in that area. It work for me on my last pipe the"Big Sandy"

jchamb wrote: I invariably cut too deep with the coping saw when I make the cuts between shank and bowl, and basically mess up the whole shape trying to correct the self-inflicted problem. Perhaps after a hundred or so pipes I'll get this right....
whitebar

Re: Pipemaking: Most Difficult Aspect

Post by whitebar »

ToddJohnson wrote:Hey Guys,

What sorts of things do you find particularly difficult to master?
Excellent question Todd! When I look back on my early efforts at making a pipe the thing I notice is a problem where the shank flows into the bowl. Most of those early pipes look clunky in that area and to my eye, I did not remove enough wood. Maybe I was just in a hurry or maybe I just didn't have enough practice at what I was doing. I have noticed that by identifying this as a problem area, and by paying extra attention when I work on this area, my designs are now looking much more refined.

One of the things that helped was to decide on a design strategy before beginning work on that area. I ask myself the question, Do I want to make the transition smooth and flowing like a Roush pipe or do I want it to be crisp and defined? The answer has helped me to develop a plan of action so that I stay more on track.

The end result of all this is that I am happier with the results these days. Maybe the difference is nothing more than just having extra practice, but I honestly believe it results from a little extra time spent evaluating my previous work with an eye toward figuring out how to do it better next time.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Developing the patience has been my biggest hurtle. I am such a child of the 80's. Mr. Instant Gratification. The work itself is challenging, especially the parts highlighted here like the shank bowl junction and stemwork, but not so much so that it is insurmountable. Now that I've disciplined myself to be patient, I find the work very rewarding. Sitting on the porch with a smoldering pipe, a stummel and a pile o' sand paper has become my favored method of decompression after a long day.

As to soursing, well I've only ordered a dozen or so pieces of briar, and for my skill level the quality has been fine. Having said that, I'm planning on making a pipe for my boss for Christmas, and will be looking for a top notch piece of briar and a hand turned stem. So we'll see. BTW, when was you latest venture set to be up and running Tyler?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nick,

Selling supplies is still in the works. I am likely going to have some Vulcanit in the next 6-8 weeks, and it will likely be a few months after that for briar. In other words, it will be a while, but I am still very active in pursuing the supply venture.

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool.

Thanks for the update.
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

Selling supplies is still in the works. I am likely going to have some Vulcanit in the next 6-8 weeks, and it will likely be a few months after that for briar. In other words, it will be a while, but I am still very active in pursuing the supply venture.
Great! I'm ready to score a bit of vulcanite! Thanks for keeping us posted.
marks

Post by marks »

Pooka,

Where the shank and bowl meet. Most of my pipes are way too fat here, and there is not a crisp transition. I typically do not remove enough wood from that part of the pipe.