Jet Mini Lathe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
smokingpat

Jet Mini Lathe

Post by smokingpat »

I have a chance to pick one up for about 200 with some tools. Is this worth my time and money for turning small/medium pipes. Or should i save my cash up for something else?
Nick

Post by Nick »

A good lathe! Go for it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I agree. My Jet is a workhorse, and stands up to all manner of work.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Depends on the tools that you get with it.

A Delta LA-200 Midi can be had for about $200 brand new, delivered, (about $150-$160 before shipping) and sometimes they have a deal where they throw in a set of Delta turning chisels free.

If you get a chuck with the Jet (or even just the chuck body), go for it!
smokingpat

Post by smokingpat »

I just spoke with the guy, something seems off with him so i am backing out.

But i went down to woodcrafte to get some rasps and was checking out the jets they had down there. Interestingly enough the wood turner they had on shift was talking about how they are not selling delta lathes at his location due to the high number of returns they have had on them in the past 6 months.

He suggested a rikon lathe that is on sale for 199. Anyone ever used one?
Frank

Post by Frank »

smokingpat wrote:He suggested a rikon lathe that is on sale for 199. Anyone ever used one?
Here are a couple of reviews both good & bad, but reviews by stores selling the item might be a tad biased. They may have ironed out the manufacturing kinks by now: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ ... x?id=27975
http://www.diyprojects.info/bb/ftopic56216.html
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
smokingpat

Post by smokingpat »

Frank that you for the info.

The guy at woodcraft told me i cant go wrong with a jet and the rikon was a great lathe for the price.

Looks like ill check my local paper and criagslist for one at a good price. I have lots of time to wait for a deal at this point as i am spending most of my time working anyway.
Danskpibemager

Jet Alternative

Post by Danskpibemager »

I recently purchased the Turncrafter Pro Midi lathe from Amazon at $158.00 with free shipping. I did alot of of investigation and read a ton of reviews prior to my purchase. From what I gather the Turncrafter is produced by the same factory that makes the Jet and they look very alike. The bottom line is I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The lathe showed up on schedule, all parts were included and everything lined up on center. I heard that due to the number of complaints about the machining on the earlier models they have since refined their process and aside from the color it resembles the Jet in every function. The variable speed would have been nice but is not neccesary since the access to change speeds is relatively easy. With some added tooling I can turn stems, stummels and perform other turning processes much like a metal lathe.
smokingpat

Post by smokingpat »

kevin thats for the info i'll have to check it out.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I bought my Delta from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Delta-LA200-MID ... dZViewItem

($149 with free shipping!) and a friend of mine bought a Jet.

The only thing I don't like about the Jet is that you have get behind it to change the speed (or over the top of it) whereas the Delta speed can be changed from the front.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

At the proper working height, the Jet is a cinch to change pulleys. Especially once you get the hang of it. It takes me about 10 seconds to go between speeds.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokingpat

Post by smokingpat »

Kendale that is 30-40 min drive from my house in salt lake. I wonder if i could pick it up and save the gas.

:twisted:

I have to say you gentlemen are truly great.

Edit***

free shipping is even better.

duh.

lol
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I'm looking at buying a lathe as well. Is there anything bad about the delta? Is the Jet worth the extra money? Just wondering.

Josh
Nick

Post by Nick »

My delta midi is excellent!
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

I've got the Jet Mini. But, I can remember, about four years ago, looking at both the Delta and the Jet. I think the tightening handles on the Jet were a little beefier. The Jet usually costs more than the Delta, but, the Jet was on sale for about the same price. Plus I have had a lot more experience with Powermatic than Delta, and I really like Powermatic equipment. I think both would do a good job for you. There are no outstanding differences, other than the pulley access is from the front on the Midis, and the rear on the Jets. It is really a matter of personal preference IMHO. It is the accessories that make a real difference. I bought a selection of good drive centers, a Oneway Talon chuck, and a Oneway live center for the tail. I don't even know where I put the original Jet centers anymore. I sure either lathe would perform just fine with good centers and a good chuck.

Bill
smokingpat

Post by smokingpat »

bill thank you for the info my friend.

Pat