Another Logan

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
JHowell

Another Logan

Post by JHowell »

Here's an interesting -- and instructive -- listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Logan-Lathe_W0QQite ... dZViewItem

If someone is near enough to Rochester to have a look at this machine it could be a bargain -- or it could be a fraud. The lathe is not a 1920, it is a Model 200 10 inch, same as mine. It has been rebuilt and repainted, and the possibility exists that it was lovingly restored by an expert, or -- there are signs of scraping or flaking on the ways and Logan never scraped their ways -- butchered by an amateur who was good at painting. Many questions, is the seller the rebuilder? One who rebuilt this machine would surely know what it was, and not advertise it as something it is not. Sure a 1920 (an 11-inch lathe with quick change gearbox and v-belt drive) is more valuable, but clearly this machine is not that (smaller spindle, flat belt, no QC), so the game hardly seems worth the candle. My guess is that the seller is not the rebuilder, and knows nothing about the machine.

Smart buyers will stay away from an improperly advertised machine from a seller with less than perfect feedback, BUT if you happened to live close and were able to check it out, you might get a very solid, apparently well-restored and immediately usable lathe for $400 for that very reason. As I said, interesting. Beware!

Jack
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Apparently Falk Mill Supply doesn't turn over their inventory very quickly. :P

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Heh. It's far from new, clearly repainted. The model tag is missing (probably the cause of the mis-ID), the threading chart is outside the machine instead of inside the gear cover where it belongs, the chuck looks old, there are too many bits and pieces with it that look moderately used. Really hard to tell from photos, could just be a nice paint job. The motor looks new, though, and the switch setup is mostly to code -- compare and contrast with Mark turning his Atlas on and off with a power strip. The exposed orange motor wiring really should be in conduit. But the whole thing looks like it took too much work just to be tarted up for sale. Usually what you see in that regard is a spray paint job with overspray everywhere. There was one SB heavy 10 that was completely painted, chuck, ways, leadscrew, everything.

Anyway, these are the sorts of auctions I find interesting. I could get all the shagged Model 200s I wanted for $400 each (and overpay for most of them) but there's a little mystery here.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

compare and contrast with Mark turning his Atlas on and off with a power strip.
:lol: I wonder what Mark would have done if his lathe switch had failed in the off position?

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I'm seeing a light switch dangling from bare wires. No, that's needlessly complex. Alligator clip? No, might electrocute the cat. Light switch it is. Used. : ) Bless his heart.

Jack