Using CA glue with Delrin Tenons

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
kkendall

Using CA glue with Delrin Tenons

Post by kkendall »

Does CA glue work with Delrin rod?

I've read the sticky note that Kurt wrote describing using Delrin rods for tenons and the use of epoxy to bond the tenon to the stem. I was just curious if using CA works, too.

CA thick or CA flexible?
Last edited by kkendall on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have not tried it. My gut tells me that it wouldn't be as strong as 2-part epoxy.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

A few years ago, when I first started playing with Delrin, I used CA glue. The tenons I made were for my own pipes. They failed, and I use the same epoxy Kurt uses now for everything! I don't think there's a CA glue that can perform like.......(ready for a commercial) System Three T88. Be sure to cut those grooves like Kurt said!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

If I remember correctly, Joel Shapiro uses CA glue and likes it. I've not tried using it for gluing delrin, but IMO it is too brittle. Delrin is flexible enough to cause the CA to crack. I don't know whether the newer versions that are supposed to be flexible are better or not. Best thing would be to do a long term test! :wink:
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I pretty much use the same procedure and adhesive aas Kurt, I forgot to mention I rough the stem mortise with a hand held mini tap, gives me some more groves for glue. Recently I ran into a CA supposedly made specially for acetal (Derin) in the micromark catalogue.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=83424
I doubt if I'll try it, I like the results with T88. If some trys this stuff,we would appreciate hearing about the results.
Best
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Interesting Dan! Micro-mark also has this one: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=80882

Formulated for bonding Lexan, Delrin, Polycarbonate and Rubber.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

How about that....one got past me, oops ! :oops:
I don't know....I'm still secure with the T88
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bvartist wrote:Interesting Dan! Micro-mark also has this one: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=80882

Formulated for bonding Lexan, Delrin, Polycarbonate and Rubber.
Wow! Look at that! 30 second cure time as well. Hell, for $5 I might as well get some and test it out. Couldn't hurt to try it on a test pipe....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Keep us informed if you test it Kurt. I may get a bottle to try as well. I think the 30 sec cure time could be handy.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

The kicker is going to be shear strength, which is something for which CA is not famous. May be just fine, since a well-fitting Delrin tenon doesn't generate all that much friction anyway, but the right epoxy generates lots of cross-links and affords an ample margin of safety, though it depends heavily on roughening the surfaces for grip. I use Brownell's Acraglas Gel epoxy, which I've also used for gluing bamboo rod ferrules, which I think is one of the most punishing environments for an adhesive. This epoxy is designed for glass-bedding big-game rifles, has negligible shrinkage and superior toughness. Never had a failure in either application with properly prepared surfaces. I always let it cure overnight.

Jack
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I'm using a CA glue similar to the one that was posted above. It's supposed to be flexible and for gluing plastics. They carry it at a local woodworking shop here. Go figure?

Anyway, I've used it to glue delrin into briar, lucite, and acrylic. Haven't had a single failure. What I don't use it for is the stainless rod for attaching bamboo. That doesn't seem to work well.

When I glue the delrin in, I rough up the delrin pretty heavily, along with the mortise that it will be glued in to. This gives the glue plenty of surface area to stick and hold. If you glue to smooth delrin, it'll come out. Of course, epoxy will too.

I tested it on a pipe for myself. I took it apart and put it back together hot and cold quite a bit for several months before using it on a pipe to sell. It's been fine.

Joel