Pipedia.org

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
Frank

Post by Frank »

TreverT wrote:.....all the various open source projects that have collapsed, fragmented, or been abandoned.....

Fortunately, there are a number of forums like this one where such info is exchanged, even if the formal "Wiki" sites come and go. I've made excellent use of Afterdawn.com for learning about video authoring.
TreverT wrote:It's probably written too informally to be useful, but you guys are welcome to use anything from my site or blog that might be useful for the wiki. This includes random shots like the pics of the staining samples and such, too, should you have need of sample photos.
Many thanks, Trever. Scott is making great use of your site. You're welcome to complain that you can actually feel the knowledge draining from your brain as you lose all your poorly guarded secrets! :twisted: At least you know where to find it again. :lol:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frank wrote:Fortunately, there are a number of forums like this one where such info is exchanged, even if the formal "Wiki" sites come and go. I've made excellent use of Afterdawn.com for learning about video authoring.
Hey, that's easy!
1. buy a Mac
2. plug MiniDV into firewire port
3. make movies

:twisted:

All kidding aside, this type of thing is incredibly easy on a Mac. I'm in the midst of a project for a friend, and Apple has really blown all the competition away in this regard. I used to use a bunch of tools on both Irix and Windows years ago and recently decided to try my Mac to make that rough shaping video - I tossed that puppy together in less than 2 hours. It would have taken longer if I had actually put together some original music for the soundtrack - but I'll do that on a future project.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

KurtHuhn wrote: 1. buy a Mac
Wuss. :twisted:

Well, you knew someone was going to say it! :lol: Probably wear Birkenstocks too.... :twisted:

Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Frank

Post by Frank »

TreverT wrote: Wuss. :twisted:

Just a sec! Isn't that a photo of Kurt? :twisted: --------------------------------------------^
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

TreverT wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote: 1. buy a Mac
Wuss. :twisted:

Well, you knew someone was going to say it! :lol: Probably wear Birkenstocks too.... :twisted:
Hey, HEY!! Only when it's really hot and humid out. I got them as a present for being in a wedding party, I swear!

Besides, I normally wear canvas Chucks. Or work boots.

Wait, I'm not sure that's helping.... :)

Crap, I just realized that I actually kind of dress like the Mac guy.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frank wrote: Just a sec! Isn't that a photo of Kurt? :twisted: --------------------------------------------^
I just realized that I don't have any current photos of me anywhere. The most recent one is probably from October '05, and is me dressed up like a Jedi Knight, complete with glowing light saber.

Yeah, I know.... GEEK!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

KurtHuhn wrote: I just realized that I don't have any current photos of me anywhere. The most recent one is probably from October '05, and is me dressed up like a Jedi Knight, complete with glowing light saber.

Yeah, I know.... GEEK!
I am looking forward to vanishing for a few days from Halloween to November 3rd or so. There's a huge SF con in Nantes going on then for five days, and we've opted to just stay at the hotel for a night or two for convenience. 25000 European SF geeks all in one spot. :shock:
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

This is probably a silly question but.. what's SF? er.. nevermind.. Sci-Fi, I'm assuming. Let me crawl back under my rock.
sethile

Post by sethile »

TreverT wrote:I just posted a blog entry linking to your site. I've had this idea for an article brewing in my head for a while, ever since reading Wikinomics and thinking about how the same "open source" model of info-exchange had affected the world of pipes, and it made for a perfect lead-up to finishing with a paragraph introducing Pipedia. :idea:

http://www.talbertpipes.com/2007/08/rhe ... -open.html
Great blog post, thanks Trever!

I was really encouraged to see so many young pipe smokers at the NASPC show. I think the internet and open source information is a huge part of their World and one we need to embrace if we want to reach them. Even at my advanced age I've really enjoyed having access to so much information so fast :shock:

In terms of what works for open source, and what doesn't. It will be interesting. I suspect all the hot debates will eventually come up and need to be dealt with. If editing wars develop, one solution might be a mix of open and protected articles on those topics. Ideally, an agreed on outline of the issues, linking to articulate articles from both sides. Readers can then make their own decisions.

Certainly the up and coming and hobiest pipe makers have gotten through some of the basics faster due to all the great information. I have benefited immensely from the forum, and everything that led up to it on Trever and Tyler's sites. Thanks so much to all of you!

I don't think established pipe makers have anything to worry about in terms of competition. It takes much more than knowledge to be good at this. You've graciously shared the knowledge, but only a few have the eyes and hands and souls, let alone the dedication to apply it, and become really great at this.

Look at the Danes and the rest of the European cultures that nurture new talent through apprenticeship. I think all we're seeing is an information age version that has taken hold, especially in cultures like the US without ready access to more traditional ways to learn.

My guess is that the few up and comers that eventually make pipes that compete in the upper mid and high grade arenas will barley replace those of you we loose due to attrition and other life challenges unrelated to the competition.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------