Favorite blends

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
jeff

Favorite blends

Post by jeff »

Gentlemen,

What is your favorite blend of tobacco? This does not need to be limited to one kind, but give the kind of atmosphere, time of day, season, etc that you typically enjoy it with. I'm interested in hearing some new ones to try out.

Here are mine:

Dunhill Durbar--I enjoy this in the evenings. Usually, this is one that I smoke by myself. My wife hates the aroma, so it's smoked on our patio and usually is accompanied by a tumbler of small batch kentucky bourbon and a book.

Golden nugget--This is one that I can enjoy during the day time and into the evenings. It is light and aromatic enough that I can smoke it inside or outside. The taste is quite good, but again it is surprisingly light in flavor given the aromatic qualities of the unsmoked tobacco. I usually pair this with a fruity ale like Magic Hat #9 or Flying Fish.

List away,

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Escudo
Dark Star
Haddo's Delight

Those would be my top 3.

Tyler
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I have been smoking a lot of Balkan Blends lately and would recommend the following:

GLP Caravan
GLP Blackpoint
GLP Abingdon

Abingdon is the strongest of the three and I'm really developing a taste for it. If you want to try something completely different, then you might investigate the Schurch tobaccos. They are only available by special order from Switzerland. Here are a few of my favorites:

Schurch Onyx
Schurch Sodalit
Schurch Torina

I ordered a sampler of 5 blends and am really enjoying them. They have a creamy taste that is unlike anything I have ever encountered. Obtaining these is really worth the effort.

I also recommend checking out this site if you have not seen it. There is a wealth of tobacco info there. You can also use the advanced search feature to narrow things down by style of tobacco you are interested in.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hmmmmm...faves? Thats harder than it might sound. I just finished up a tin of Ratrays' 7 Reserve. At first I thought a bit lacking. Not very complex. But the more I smoked it the more I liked it. Smooth and clean. Sweet Virgina overtones with a dash of latakia backing it up. I've also been smoking a good deal of Two Friend's Redwood. Very tasty. I bought an 8 oz package and tossed it in a drawer. Three years later, I just happened upon it. Couldn't help but open it. Delicous! I'm also partial to Solani's 779, Durbar and Penzance. I've two tins of Red Rapperee which I'm aging. Hmmmm. Thats about it. All in all, I just love tobacco.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Looks like I'm quite a newbie with my tobacco list. I'm going to give the Schurch tobaccos a go. They sound good and I'm a sucker for english blends. What are some other favorites?
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Jeff,

I also ordered Schurch's Zaffiro and Don Carlos in my sampler. I think Don Carlos is the only one I wouldn't order again. I look forward to getting another sampler and trying some of the other blends sometime soon. Have fun making your selection. Looking back, I wish I had ordered a double sampler and received ten samples instead of five.
Stephen

whitebar

Post by whitebar »

FYI, anyone interested in the Schurch tobaccos can order them here:

http://www.synjeco.ch/

They will even give you a shipping discount on a sampler and it only took about a week for my order to arrive. That's pretty fast service from Europe.
Stephen

JMB

Post by JMB »

I try them all in "bulk" but the two I love best are. I get them on line:

Black Seas I get from Just For Him Shop in MO. During the day

Irish Cream from the Pipe Room down in FL. In the morning

Both are real mild & sweet with Vanilla.. The Irish Cream has No bite at all. Really no bite. Taste like French Vanilla Ice Cream.

Jeff ask:
What is your favorite blend of tobacco?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Black Kathy.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Jeff ask:
What is your favorite blend of tobacco?
What?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

was the "What?" for my post?? :)

Black Kathy

A super mild Black Cavendish. The Blend consists of selected Virginia and Burley grades. Heat-treated and bulk-cured for a full week to create an unusually mild and low nicotine smoke. Deliciously flavored with sweet Vanilla.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dp ... lackkathyl

FYI, this does not taste/smell like normal vanilla blends. I don't like vanilla blends and this isvery different.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

My top ten favorite tobaccos are (in no particluar order):

McClelland Bulk 5100 - I smoke this anytime
McClelland Bulk 2010 - ditto
McClelland Bulk 2040 - ditto
McClelland Bulk 2045 - Good all day smoke
BlackWoods Flake (McClelland) - Night
Hal O the Wynd (Rattrays) - Night
Bob's Chocolat Flake (G&H) - Night
Krumble Kake (Smokers Haven) - Tried it in Chicago and it struck me
British Woods (McClelland) - Winter/Fall
Odyssey (GL Pease) - Winter/Fall

Because flakes are more of a hassle to prepare and such, I usually smoke them at night as that is when I have the most time to sit, rub them out and smoke them slow.

The latakia blends I tend to smoke in the cooler months. Why that is I don't know.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Sorry, Ben. The "What?" was for JMB. He had that quote at the end of his post and I don't know what it means.

But, the Black Kathy sounds like some good stuff.

Jeff
hiway

Post by hiway »

I smoke one or two bowls a day, maybe three on weekends. The first is usually an English or Balkan. My top choices are Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and My Mixture 965. Also Sanseni 779 and McClellands Cyprian Mixture suit me well.

The second or final bowl is almost always a VA or VA/Per. Haddo's Delight if I have time to sit back and enjoy it. McClellands 2015 is a standby as is Orlik's Golden Sliced. Escudo and Hal o' the Wynd are contenders when I can get them. For a treat every now and then some 1792 although I find that it takes a lot of butane to keep it lit. Actually, now that I think about it, pretty much anything that is predominantly virginia. :)

Once in a while, when I'm not sure what I want I'll smoke some quality Burley such as McBaren's London Mixture. Usually in a cob of course!

And there's just so many that I haven't even tried yet. 8O

Dave
JMB

Post by JMB »

I was just showing what you were asking. like this one below.

Jeff wrote:
"Sorry, Ben. The "What?" was for JMB. "
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

JMB wrote:I was just showing what you were asking. like this one below.

Jeff wrote:
"Sorry, Ben. The "What?" was for JMB. "
JMB,
If you go to the post you want to highlight and hit the balloon that says "quote" that is located in the upper right hand corner, then the system will open a reply window for you and make the quote look like it is in this post.

I learn new things about this site all the time and just thought I would share. :)
Stephen

jeff

Post by jeff »

JMB,
Ahh, I have it. It takes a while sometimes. Thanks for the clarification and the tobacco suggestions.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried to cure their own tobacco before? Perhaps this is a good topic for another post.

Jeff
JMB

Post by JMB »

My wife's Uncle Donny up in WI, grows tobacco. It is use for "chewing & dipping" don't know how it would smoke. Donny smokes a pipe and buy's Tobacco on line so that should tell me something. But I might try a shot a cureing my own.
jeff wrote:JMB,

Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried to cure their own tobacco before? Perhaps this is a good topic for another post.

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My current favorites are:
C&D Black Duck
C&D Santas Mistake
GLP Caravan
GLP Ravens Wing

I really want to try GLPs Odyssey, but need to finish up some open tins before getting anything else.

I also like Dark Star, but rarely have the time to smoke it. Most Virginia blends hurt me something fierce, due to poor technique, but Dark Star doesn't.

I'm a sucker for latakia, and have been known to smoke it straight. I know this horrifies most people. I also like the really dark-moving-towards-black cigars with oscuro or double maduro wrappers. I like strong flavors....

I recently found a retailer that had soome Black Duck in the back room of his B&M that he stored away because it wasn't selling. It was about a year old, and he offered to me for cheap. I was a selfish pr**k and didn't let on that it's better that way, then I bought out his entire stock. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com