sandblaster cfm requirements?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
sprangalang

sandblaster cfm requirements?

Post by sprangalang »

I was looking at sandblasters and many require 15 cfm at 90 to 100 psi. Is all that really needed? Or is that a rating affixed for maximum possible removal? I could get my hands on a fairly decent compressor, 8cfm at 90psi. This is a 3 hp machine with a large tank. Too big for my space as it is (but I could make room ;))
Thanks
:)
-Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The more CFM the better. Even if you get a 5 CFM blaster, an 13 CFM compressor will run nearly constantly - which is my current setup, and is slightly annoying.

At some point I'll upgrade to a 25 CFM compressor, then life will be easier.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Jeff,

You really don't want anything under 5 hp for your compressor. And you want to make sure it's 2 stage.

Blast cabinets come in all sizes, and the limiting factor in them is the gun.

For both, the higher the CFM they can deliver, the better.

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I agree, I went with the bigest single-stage I could get my hands on, and while it works, it's a little frustrating. I should have saved for the two-stage.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Wouldn't anything that can do somewhere around 10CFM at 90-100 PSI work?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ArtGuy wrote:Wouldn't anything that can do somewhere around 10CFM at 90-100 PSI work?
Technically, yes. But it's a comfort thing for me. Mine does 15CFM at 90PSI, but it still ends up running nearly constantly. I'd rather have it run for 20 seconds and then shut off for 40 or 45.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Jeff,

Don't bother with anything other than a two-stage, 5hp+, 80 gallon compressor. It will set you back a few more bills, but it will be a good investment. 60 gal is simply too small for what we need them for. Although it can work, it will be a big headache and you will have upgradeitis from the moment you begin blasting and hear that compressor run for 30 minutes or more without stopping. That's not to mention the heat generated and radiated by it. Buy the best you can afford, even if it means buying used.

Best,

Jeff