Shaping first.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Shaping first.

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm not exactly a newbie at shaping first, but I've not exactly done a lot of it either. And, truth be told, lathe shaping almost always had some part in what I was doing. And I always approached a block with the thought of "How am I going to drill the holes?" while shaping. That limited my creativity a lot, I think, because I was constantly worrying about the direction and placement of the holes and channels. Just this week I've really started pushing myself to see what I can do if I forget about the holes entirely. What could I come up with?

Well, let me tell you, it's pretty damn impressive. To hell with the holes. The holes aren't what makes a pipe attractive or compelling. The pipe is what makes a pipe impressive. Make the pipe, then figure out how to drill the sucker. I haven't been able to make a shape yet that couldn't be drilled with a little planning.

Advice? Forget the holes. Make a sculpture that looks good, then drill some holes in it. You won't be disappointed.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Amen. I'm a believer and sculpting away. Thanks for the bits and the freedom, Brad.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Pressing a piece of briar, by hand, onto a sharp, spinning blade doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me. I think I'll stick with lathe drilling until I'm older and don't see a long term need for fingers and hands. :shock: (or at least until I've got better health insurance! :wink: )
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Go figure. And I thought the holes helped you smoke the pipe. I'll be damn. Now I understand that pipes have nothing to do with the holes. Pretty soon, pipes will have nothing to do with tobacco or smoking. With all the no smoking ordinances across the country, I think you guys are onto something.

In the meantime, I'm going to go drill some holes so I can smoke this damn pipe.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
sprangalang

Post by sprangalang »

I want to try this. I had a really cool pipe coming along yesterday, and in order to match the design to the hole, I ruined a great effect that was happening.
-Jeff
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Kurt.. quit oozing your love of free-shaping all over the board. You're making me jealous :lol: And while you're at it, send me your BP bits so I can play, too! :wink:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wait 'till you see the latest crop of free-shaped pipes. :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

KurtHuhn wrote:Wait 'till you see the latest crop of free-shaped pipes. :twisted:
Can't wait. And let me thank you one more time for posting the stem-making photo essay. I completed my very first hand-made stem yesterday(along with attached stummel) and I'm pretty happy with it. There are definitely things I have to work on to get it down, but now the general idea of how to take it from start to finish are comfortably housed in my head. Hopefully I'll have some pics posted in a few days. Building a little photography box.
Tano

Post by Tano »

I would really like to see how its done safely, if there is such a way.
All the best,
Tano
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Tano wrote:I would really like to see how its done safely, if there is such a way.
I will attempt to take a video of the drilling process this weekend. But before I can, I've got another video I have to post-produce and make viewable. It's been so long ago, I can't even recall what it is. Rough shaping and lathe turning, maybe? Jeez, I'm a procrastinator....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote: I will attempt to take a video of the drilling process this weekend. But before I can, I've got another video I have to post-produce and make viewable. It's been so long ago, I can't even recall what it is. Rough shaping and lathe turning, maybe? Jeez, I'm a procrastinator....
I thought you were going to post that vacation video of yours where you went to England to go Stummel Picking in a Briar Patch. :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett