Spoon Bits, photos from the first batch

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
jeff

Spoon Bits, photos from the first batch

Post by jeff »

Hey guys,

I just got my shipment of spoon bits from Brad. I received them early to give them a test to make sure that they are up to snuff. Good God, are they ever! I have 6 other bits, 1 is of my own manufacture. At first glance, these three bits are superior in craftsmanship and design to anything that I currently own, and may very well be better performers than anything I've ever used. Brad told me that his were cutting the wood off in ribbons. I anticipate the same from mine.

Be encouraged, all who ordered, the bits are good and on their way. Here's a quick photo.

I might be able to snap a few more after I've modified the noses and I'll also try to give you all a shot or two of the work that they are capable of.

Best,

Jeff
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

thanks jeff (and of course brad)

this is indeed great news. And if you can provide other information like
what size pioet hole you use and what rmps you use on the jet bd920

how to tips and tricks on eevery thing you can provide will be a god send

many thanks

jim
Frank

Post by Frank »

Jeff, could you post a pic of them from the side (profile).
Thanks.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

To expand on Jim's list of questions (to Jeff and/or Brad)... how are you going to grind the tapered points down? I've ground and sharpened "disposable" bits, but these'll make me nervous. Is there a temper to worry about?
magruder

Post by magruder »

Typically perfect execution from Brad Pohlman.
Thanx Brad!!!
jeff

Post by jeff »

magruder wrote:Typically perfect execution from Brad Pohlman.
Thanx Brad!!!
Honestly, would we have expected anything less from Professor Precision? :)

Jeff
jeff

Post by jeff »

The side profile looks just like you might expect--the same profile halved. :)

In terms of grinding it down, you should treat it like grinding tool bits. There's no magic here, just some attention to detail. I've ground 5 others and have had no problem even though I have absolutely no machinist's training. Can you ruin one? Sure, but you'd have to try pretty hard to do so. The idea is to grind the nose down to the profile you want and then to match the rest of the profile to it. It's really not unlike shaping a billiard. Any of us who purchased these bits should be adept enough to handle the operation. Is temper a problem? If you get it too hot, I would imagine that it would be. So, don't get it too hot--just like grinding a tool bit. ;) Do you notice a trend in my post? :)

Really, I don't mean to be a smartass, but let's not overthink the problem. If you are not confident enough to reshape them leave them as they are or you might be able to pay Brad to reshape them for you.

For what it's worth, I'll try and post the nose of a different spoon bit that I recently reground to give you an idea of what we're talking about. But, seriously, it's not a complex operation, it's common tooling sense.

Good luck gents! I look forward to seeing the wacky creations that chuck liberation creates! And wacky is good!!

Best,

Jeff
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Jeez, it's going to be like Christmas next week! I've got a new IMP meer on the way a new MP3 Player and these bits!. I can't wait to get my hands on them. Thanks again Brad!
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Wooohooo! Just got mine! Kick ass Brad!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Awwe man Brad I thought we were tight? Nick got his before me! :wink:
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

It's okay, John - I told Brad you wanted him to ship yours to my address. If it makes you feel any better, they sure are sweet!
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Sounds like we're going to need a whole new thread:

sf/ds
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Wohoo! Just got my bits in the mail and they look beautiful! Thanks Brad, I can't wait to shape and break them in this evening.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, mine arrived today, thanks Brad! These are beautiful!

In terms of shaping the ends. Ok, guys... I know it's like grinding tool bits, but these little gems are perfect, and I don't want to screw them up! And I'm having a difficult time visualizing how best to do this while keeping everything as symetrical as possible. They are perfectly shaped and finished now, and I want them to look just as good when I'm done with the shaping, if possible.

The only idea I've had .... (removed to protect the unsuspecting) :roll:

Is that the idea? Any better way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited about getting into this! Thanks again for making this possible, Brad!
Last edited by sethile on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
jeff

Post by jeff »

Scott,

I highly suggest that you do not do as you wrote. This will end up in a very uneven grind and probably a rounded cutting edge. I know that it's difficult ot visualize at first, but think of reshaping spade bits--now do it in 3D. ;) The way I do it is by grinding the profile first while placing the flat part of the bit on the grinder rest. Then matching the rest of the profile to it will finish the job. You'll probably be altering only the tip--maybe 1/4"--and therefore you needn't worry too much about ruining the fine profile Brad created.

Best,

jeff
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

My bits came today. Absolutely perfect. Thanks Brad.

Now I have four new Brad spoon bits and two new Lamb S&D bits. What a deal! Now all I have to do is learn to make a decent pipe and I'm good to go.

bob gilbert
sethile

Post by sethile »

jeff wrote:Scott,

I highly suggest that you do not do as you wrote. This will end up in a very uneven grind and probably a rounded cutting edge. ....
Thanks Jeff! You saved me! :shock: I knew it was risky not to have a better take on this. I really appreciate your extra advice. I will edit my idea out of my post before someone ruin's theirs with it! I'll give your suggestion a careful try. It's hard to imagine being able to keep the symetry exact, and they're so perfect now :)
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

i have received mine today as well

i really like the profile as is i think i will be leaving my profile as is.

just one question - what is the best way to keep them sharp

just hone the top

thanks brad and thanks jeff for all your help

jim
jeff

Post by jeff »

jbacon wrote: just one question - what is the best way to keep them sharp
Don't drop them. :lol:

Sharpening should not need to occur very often. As hobbiests you *may* need to sharpen them once a year, if that. All you need to do us run the flat part of the bit across a diamond hone. Never, NEVER, sharpen from the rounded edge. That will remove the cutting edge completely from contacting the wood.

C'mon now. Let's stop asking questions and start posting pictures of your first efforts! ;)
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

thanks jeff

just two more questions and i will be set. I am using the jet bd-920

what rpms do you use to drill on your jet- 130 is the lowest rmp setting

can you go to slow. And also do you start w/ a pilot hole john crosby said

he uses a 5/32 and then a 3/8 w/a rounded edge

thanks for all your patience and help

jim