another first bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

another first bamboo

Post by kbadkar »

Well, since Scofield was willing to share his first bamboo, I suppose I don't have to be too ashamed to show mine. I just finished it this weekend. It's a $2 Parks block, 1/5th of a $1 Mindong bamboo stick, 50 cents worth of Mr. West ebonite rod, 25 cents of ss tube, and nickel of delrin, Pimo stain, and epoxy. It came out nice enough and took enough time that I should've used top notch wood and a wider rod. Hindsight. Criticism is welcomed and encouraged. She smokes well and Parks well aged briar is tasty. I call it "egg drop" because of the shape and the bamboo-orient connection.

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

Image[/img]
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

A couple of things:

Could you please tell us the cost of the stain and the epoxy?

Also, what is "Mingdong bamboo?"

My personal tastes like the bamboo grooves on the side.

The only "less subjective" criticism I'd off is to cut the bamboo and shape the stem and stummel such that it does not create a "V" shape at those joints.

Nice pipe though! Sure has some pretty grain on the front!!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

A nickel of stain and 5 cents of epoxy. I could include a list of tool costs too, but I prefer not to think about that.
:roll:

If you look under the Raw Materials heading, there's a post by a feller named Mindong who sells bamboo.

I hadn't thought about left-right vs up-down, it just seemed natural up-down... but good point, I'll compare aesthetics next time.

I know what you mean about the transition and V shape, more so the shank... I was kinda close to the airway so I was afraid to straighten out the top of the skinny shank any further. I wanted to somewhat emulate and continue the bamboo profile of knuckles and dips between at the stem-shank junctions, but you are right that it's much too sharp and V like.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

and I must say after viewing the last picture again, the side and bottom profiles appear to transition very well.