Sanding-shaping tools

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Sanding-shaping tools

Post by kbadkar »

I was going to post this under Kurt's stem shaping photo essay, but I don't want to clog it up with waste material. Pipers seem to endorse the abralon discs. I bought 6" cheap plastic backed sanding pad with adhesive discs for rough shaping stummel/stems, but found that they can be rather aggresive and unforgiving. Even in fine grits, they leave heavy grit grooves in the material. Those abralon discs seem a bit pricey. I have been recently using my 5" random orbital sander rigged in the vise so the pad is perpendicular to the ground like your typical sanding disc arrangment and it has been working like a charm. Plus changing grits is simple with the velcro backing. I have grits from 60 to 600. I also have two pad bases - a regular stiff foam pad and a more flexible contour pad. I haven't heard of anyone else doing this. Has anyone tried this too? Would the abralon disc be a real improvement and worth the investment?
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I can't speak to Abralon(yet!) but I use various sorts of sanding discs, my favorite being a set that I learned about through Kurt on this site.

I have plastic discs that I picked up at Lowes(gator grit or some such, they're yellow) of different diameters that I can chuck into my lathe or power drill. These are the type with an arbor on the back and a threaded post on the front. I cut a disc of sandpaper, poke a hole in the center and secure the sandpaper with washers and a nut and have at it. I use these for rough shaping and not much else.

I have a 3M rubber-backed pad that goes together and works the same way as the gator grits. It's good for different shaping operations and gives a bit when you want it to. I believe that one's 5 inches diameter.

Then my favorites: It's a system I got at woodcraft. They're hook-and-loop and 3.5 inches(or 3.. can't recall exactly) in diameter. There's two different pads you can use, one "smooshy" and the other more firm. They take the shape of what you're working on well. As a matter of fact, you can see the type I'm talking about in Kurt's stem making photo essay. Be aware, they're salty. $50-$60 I believe I paid and the abrasive discs are no walk in the park, either. But they're worth it in the long run. I'd break legs if someone tried to walk off with mine!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

These are the disc holders that I use for my abralon and wave dics:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-b ... oop-holder

I also have the soft and firm backing pads for when I'm using wave discs, but for the abralon pads I just use the plan holder. That said, I'm in the process of making a larger holder so that I can use the big 6" abralon discs.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I use the Wave sanding discs, holder, and backing pads to hold both the Wave discs and Abralon discs. Like Kurt, I don't use a backing pad with the abralon discs.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3740

Since Kurt turned me on to the Abralon discs, I only use the wave discs up to 220 grit to smooth the stummel after rough shaping. The abralon discs are "smooshier" and less agressive than sandpaper discs and for me are well worth the price. They conform easier to the shape of the stummel.

David
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bvartist wrote:Since Kurt turned me on to the Abralon discs, I only use the wave discs up to 220 grit to smooth the stummel after rough shaping. The abralon discs are "smooshier" and less agressive than sandpaper discs and for me are well worth the price. They conform easier to the shape of the stummel.
And they last through several pipes. In fact, the higher grits can last through a dozen or more before you need to replace them. They're really the best thing in sanding discs to come along since aluminum oxide.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Re: Sanding-shaping tools

Post by kkendall »

kbadkar wrote:... I have been recently using my 5" random orbital sander rigged in the vise so the pad is perpendicular to the ground like your typical sanding disc arrangment and it has been working like a charm...
I found out quick that there isn't a whole lot to choose from for tooling and that I would have to improvise to get what I want.

I bought a hook & loop replacement pad for my 5" random orbital sander, found center, drilled a hole, then put a flat head screw through it and a nut/washer on the back (A do-it-yourself arbor).

On my motor, I have a 1/2" drill chuck (another gadget I had Trent make me... see http://www.briarpipetooling.com/tooling ) so I can change out the 5" disc when I'm done rough shaping with the smaller 3" wheel with wave discs for finish shaping. The chuck makes it easy to change out the setup quick and easy.