Drilling question

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
hazmat

Drilling question

Post by hazmat »

This has been brought up before and I understand the reason for it, just need some advice on how to approach it before I ruin a fine piece of wood.

I have my block squared, lined and have drilled the mortise. Because of the shape of the shank, the mortise is at a different angle than the draft hole will be. I'm going to have to groove the mortise in order to drill my draft hole at the proper angle. How do I put that groove in the mortise? I'm assuming a round file of the proper diameter should do it. I can't just run my drill bit into it or the edge of the mortise will cause it to deflect and I'll end up all off. Suggestions?

Thanks!!

Matt
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Just bring the drill bit up slowly to the end of the mortise and let it create the groove. I usually move it in and out until the bit it settled. Then I continue to drill the airway as normal. You end up with a scallop at the end of the mortise however that is not uncommon.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I'm drilling with a drill press. Is there anything I should watch out for specifically when I try this? I'm starting off the draft hole with the shortest 5/32 bit I have to keep it from running out on me and I assume that will help a good bit in allowing the groove to sort of work itself out.

When I laid this pipe out I was going to conciously avoid having the mortise/draft hole at two different angles, but I just couldn't get the bend in the shank that I wanted. In a "screw it" moment I did it anyway, but after drilling my mortise I realized the only screwing I did was to myself, as I had to stop for the evening. I really didn't want to jimmy this thing up.

Thanks!
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I often drill the draught hole first. Then you can decide how large of a mortise hole to drill to eliminate the groove from showing at all.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

@Craig

I normally do that, too. This is the first time I've drilled mortise first. The only reason I switched is because I have a terrible problem with the draft hole not being centered in the bottom of the mortise. I figured a change in procedure might keep this from becoming such a problem. I suppose I could always re-drill the mortise at a bit larger diameter, though.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

On deeply curved shanks, the draft hole centering becomes much harder if not impossible. I just finished an Oom Paul and the draft hole is obviously high in the mortise. But I've examined other Oom Pauls and they have this same characteristic. I think the small groove is pretty common as well. At times it's hard to avoid.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

The shank on this isn't very deeply bent. It gets just steep enough, though, as you reach the shank/stem junction that I can't get around it. Unfortunately, removing that steep part takes away from the line I want along the bottom of the pipe. :shrugs: I'll make it work one way or the other but next time I do this, I may go to 7/16ths instead of 5/16ths for my mortise.