JMB Pipe #1

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMB

JMB Pipe #1

Post by JMB »

Ok folks I finished my first Pipe. Hope the link works not sure how to do it. Take a look and tell me what you think. I took a bath this morning so when you say it stinks, I know you are taking about the Pipe not me.

http://jmb-pipes.tripod.com/
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

JMB,

The overall shape is interesting and I like it. Other than that I would need to see more views of the pipe in order to give you any feedback. It would also help if they were a bit bigger so I could see more detail.

Your first pipe is always quite a source of pride and I share in your joy. You should have quite a sence of acomplishment and be proud of your work. Tobacco just seems to taste better in a pipe you made yourself!

Enjoy the smoke.
Stephen

Carving Pipes in the Oldest Town in Texas.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Like stephen said, I too would like to see some more views of this pipe. It looks good from the one picture you posted, but extra ones from different angles and in better lighting would help. From this view it is a great first pipe and it looks like you will do well in the future.

Jeff
JMB

Two new views of JMB pipe

Post by JMB »

I add two views of the JMB pipe1. You can see I missed on the shank. It is off center. This was a Kit from Pimo and I tried to keep the Dia, of the shank the same and keep the Tobacco Hole in the center of the Stummel. As it turn out I was off center line with the shank. I am working on a "jig" to fix this when I start drilling my on holes. If it works out the way I hope I will share with all.
See link below:

http://jmb-pipes.tripod.com/
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice work bud. I like the shape. Nice and clean. The shank bowl transition is nice too. Very structured. Looks like you had some trouble with the drilling. For me, that is the hardest thing about pipe making, closely followed by stemwork.

So its Monday. Have you started pipe number 2 yet?

hehehehe
jeff

Post by jeff »

Those extra views help. Thanks for posting them so quickly. It looks like a good pipe, especially for a first attempt. It also looks like you've enjoyed a bowl or two to break it in. How is it?

When you say that you missed with the drilling, was the problem with the smoke hole, mortise or both? I couldn't see the smoke hole in the bottom of the tobacco chamber, so I could not tell on my own. Random was right about your good design with the square stummel and round shank and bit, it worked very well. Good work with this pipe and I will enjoy seeing more from you in the future.

Jeff
marks

Post by marks »

I like it too. It reminds me of the first pipe I made, except mine is straight. If you haven't seen it, you can check it out here. I only have one picture of it, but similar color, similar concept. Scary, huh?

http://hometown.aol.com/jmbspell/myhomepage/index.html