Blasted Ball

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
munkey

Blasted Ball

Post by munkey »

I was fortunate to visit fellow PMF member Brad Pohlmann on his property in Oregon over Memorial Day weekend. On top of a great time hanging out, it was a good time of working on pipes.

This is the first pipe I shaped before drilling. The process is very freeing and I was able to make some changes along the way that I wouldn't have been able to if I had drilled first. I am looking forward to a set of his spoon bits in order to use this method on most of my pipes in the future. Brad also helped me to take my stem making to a new level and it was a blast *badumpum pssh* getting to use his sandblasting rig while there.

Here are the results:

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I think you just graduated.

Wow.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

:oops:

I may not end up posting my newest pipe here. You guys have apparently left me in the dust. Great looking pipe, Scott. Tyler put it best - "wow".
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

And dang it - how does the process work to create the cap on the end of the shank???

:x
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Outstanding work Munkey, just beautiful!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Yep, you worked with Pohlmann. How much do you want for it? Seriously.

Killer stuff, Scott. Simply wonderful.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Scott, I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna briefly threadjack you here too since it is probably more appropriate here than at CPS that I ask.

Let's say I am in the business of selling pipes (I'm not, BTW - hypothetical). I go to another pipe maker's shop to do some learning, and I make a pipe. Maybe I make it by myself - maybe there is some joint effort happening (I am NOT making any comment on Munkey's pipe here, I think it is awesome regardless and I wasn't there).

Pipe makers - you have a guest and are on the other end of this deal.

When can I stamp it with my stamp? When can I sell it as a ScoJo?

Just curious.

And Jeff, I already asked, so I'm looking to be granted rite of first refusal. :P
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Also, I'd like to put in a plug for John Crosby as it is apparent that his shop is safer than Brad's. After all, I went there for a pipe making lesson and all I did was sand one of my fingers. Munkey goes to Brad's and ends up blasting a ball. You do the math.
munkey

Post by munkey »

No worries ScoJo, good discussion.

And as for this:
ScoJo wrote:Also, I'd like to put in a plug for John Crosby as it is apparent that his shop is safer than Brad's. After all, I went there for a pipe making lesson and all I did was sand one of my fingers. Munkey goes to Brad's and ends up blasting a ball. You do the math.
:lol:
James Sunderland

Post by James Sunderland »

Geat pipe!!!!!! Scott, I would love to wrok with someone like Brad or your self. I'm much more of a hands on learner, as i'm sure most of you guys are here. I couldn't leave Brian Ruthenburge during the pipe workshop in chicago. Scott you might remeber me bugging you to tell me at least 2 things wrong with my pipes at the show. again amazing pipe i love how complex yet a easy to look at.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, Scott, that is a beautiful pipe!

I'm really looking forward to learning the shape first process. Since I can't get to Oregon, I'll just have to channel the spirit of Pohlmann while using his bits. I'd blast a ball to get a chance to work with Brad for a weekend too :wink:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Nick

Post by Nick »

Kick ass buddy!
magruder

Post by magruder »

Very cool pipe Scott.
Good balance to the shape/size.
I've been wanting to do a shape like that too.

I'm with Jeff - How much do you want for it?

Best,
Steve Morrisette