Pipe making is kinda like golfing...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ScoJo

Pipe making is kinda like golfing...

Post by ScoJo »

Go away from it for a year, and when you start again, it's like starting over again for the first time.

Well, maybe not quite. I looked back in my posting history and the last time I posted in the Gallery was this weekend LAST year. I'm back out again for the first time in a long time and the good news is I don't hate my current project...much...yet...

Actually, I'm having a good time. Wife was away for most of the weekend (until yesterday) so I haven't had too much time at the bench since I was playing Mr. Mom for the weekend. But I did manage to drill the block and fit a stem with a fairly decent faux ivory inlay. Today I finally got the tenon fitting right in the mortise and flush with the shank (for the most part). I also started rough shaping.

It's fun to be back!!
sethile

Post by sethile »

Glad to hear you're back at it! Post some pics when you get it finished.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Scott -

I think I was kinda inspired to get back into it by looking at your pipes in Chicago. I think we started around the same time, but I stalled about a year ago having made a total of 9 or 10 pipes, whereas you kept at it and are now MUCH better than me. I'm trying again, though. And having fun at it (except the part where I wanted to chuck the rod into the street after trying to get my tenon to fit, but that's beside the point).
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Scojo,

Good to hear it.

Hey, in a few weeks my wife and kids will all be out of town for nine days. You ought to come down!

As for pipe making being like golfing, I always golf my best after a long lay off. I'm not sure yet how that will play out with pipe making. Hopefully it will be the same!

Tyler
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

:shock:

Tyler - check your PM.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

ScoJo.. I too have been away from it for about a year. I got frustrated because my thinking on and approach to making pipes was kind of off balance. Long story short, I was putting carts before horses, though thankfully not in any universally stupid or self-defeating ways. I didn't quit my full-time job nor take out a loan for shop equipment. :shock:

Funny thing, it was getting into fly fishing that got me re-thinking how I was going about making pipes. Nothing but learning and trying in fly fishing is going to make you a better fly fisherman. Conventional wisdom is exactly that because it works... I believe this applies to both crafts. Since I've been back down in my shop, I've found the silly mistakes I was making a year ago are largely eliminated because I'm thinking before I do as opposed to just doing and be damned convention. It is a bit like starting over again, but with a good base of information you can use to avoid potential pitfalls that may cause you to move backward instead of forward. Not to mention, this forum really helps to ground a guy firm-footed as to what making pipes is all about... simply enjoying it! Good luck and welcome back! From one re-starter to another!

Matt