Bits are done!

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
BDP

Bits are done!

Post by BDP »

Gents,

I finished this project last night- FINALLY!! I think they came out really well. They are all to tight tolerances and the heat treat was super- between 61 and 63 Rockwell ( for anyone who doesn't know about these things, that is REALLY hard!)
I left the end at a point, not knowing what configuration each person likes for the bottom of the bowl. I have ground a small radius on mine, and I'm sure you all can grind the end to any configuration you like. I would include a pic, but some scumbag ( TSA brain-dead Federal-Job-For-Life type, probably ) stole my camera out of my luggage on my return from Chicago. Need to get a new one ASAP...
I will start shipping next week, but need to get some packaging still.
By the way, I had some stock left over and made another eight 7/8ths bits. They are available for $90 apiece, if anyone wants to round out their set to four pieces.

Best Regards,
Brad
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

You're the MAN Brad, couldn't happen at a better time. I finally have some extra mula after paying Uncle Sam the yearly blood money and can buy shop equipment to use the bits with. I'm readly to start a new learning curve.

Thanks.

bob gilbert
sethile

Post by sethile »

Perfect timing, Brad! This is really great news. I've got some time off coming up and and I've been really excited about working with these.

Very sorry to hear about your camera :cry:
Hopefully you can get the airline to chip in on the new one, but even if they make you whole it's still a royal pain, and I bet you lost a bunch of good Chicago pics too.

Perhaps at some point you can write something about the best procedure for shaping the radius so as not to ruin the temper (or anything else), and also the best procedure for keeping them sharp.

I'm rubbing my hands together in expectation... I REALLY appreciate you doing these bits for us, Brad!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hi brad

just sent you a e-mail but will also post here if you have an 7/8 left i will be intrested in puschasing one.

also just curious if you have some tips on keeping them sharp- do we need to hone them - if so where

in the future will we be able to purchase more(i know at a higher price)
if we need replacements

thanks for very thing you have done
jim
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

sorry scott and brad :oops:

i was so excited to here the news that i did not really read scott's reply

but to echo scott some tips would be helpful- what scott said about sharpening and grinding them- also how big of a pilot hole to drill first(if any) also what rpms on the lathe is good to use

also i am sad to here about your camera brad- i hate theives- my sister has been robbed in every house she has lived in and has had items taken that money cannot buy-like the presents i bought home from being stationed in korea when i was in the army and also the memories of chicago that you brad were robbed of
best
jim
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Brad,

I can't wait!! Thanks very much for all your hard work. I have no doubts that they will be more than worth the wait! Great meeting up with you in Chicago by the way.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This is *exceedingly* good news. I've had a couple stummels sitting around for a while waiting for the tobacco chamber to be bored.

And I'm sorry to hear about the camera. I know how much a pain in the rear it is to be without a camera. And to have someone steal it would make me want to do bodily harm....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I guess this is what I get for being away from pipemaking for a year. Missed out on this one.

:cry:

I just sent Trent Rudat an email about regrinding the bit I got from him two years ago in Chicago. I was never very happy with it - it seems to have a pretty pronounced shoulder, if that makes any sense. The tobacco chamber goes down fairly straight, then there is a pronounced lip or ring, after which the taper is rather sudden. Make sense? Anyway, I am hoping he has gotten better at shaping in the last two years and can fix this one for me. Anyone had him reshape one of his bits? Don't want to make the guy mad, just not quite happy with the shape of the bore.
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

ScoJo wrote:I guess this is what I get for being away from pipemaking for a year. Missed out on this one.

:cry:

I just sent Trent Rudat an email about regrinding the bit I got from him two years ago in Chicago. I was never very happy with it - it seems to have a pretty pronounced shoulder, if that makes any sense. The tobacco chamber goes down fairly straight, then there is a pronounced lip or ring, after which the taper is rather sudden. Make sense? Anyway, I am hoping he has gotten better at shaping in the last two years and can fix this one for me. Anyone had him reshape one of his bits? Don't want to make the guy mad, just not quite happy with the shape of the bore.
I actually ended up reshaping mine too. It doesn't take too much effort with some fine grit belts on the belt sander to get good results. Works great now.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi Brad,

Very excited to hear that the bits are on their way. I've been dying to try this method. I hope that some of the more experienced carvers will help in how to use them safely.
All the best,
Tano
ckr

Post by ckr »

Thanks Brad, your efforts are very much appreciated and you saved all of us on the forum some big bucks.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Much appreciated

Post by kbadkar »

That's awesome Brad, thanks! I can't wait. I have the whole weekend free for pipe fiddling and I'll celebrate by shaping first!