Bullseye flake

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
Ray Cover

Bullseye flake

Post by Ray Cover »

Today I recieved an order from Just for Him. A pouch of each of their Middle Earth blends to try and some PS Bullseye flake. I ask them to recomend a flake for me to try and that is what they sent.

I tried a search and came up empty. Can one of you guys tell me what to do with the bullseye? Do I need to break it up and pack it? Leave the disc in tact and stuff it in?

Suggestions appreciated as always.

Thanks in advance,

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
Tech

Post by Tech »

Ray, I regularly smoke twist tobacco, which you cut into coins just like what you are describing. There are a couple of FAQ's out there, but the general consensus is simply to experiment and find out what works best for you. I usually stack the coins into the pipe and then rub one coin out and pack it on top to get a good char/fire going.

Some people like to rub the coins out fully (Which I do sometimes), and others like to fold them up and stuff them in that way. The biggest factor to consider is probably how moist the coins are. If they're too moist, then you might want to rub them out and let them dry before you smoke them.

Have fun experimenting!!
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

Cool 8) thanks Tech I appreciate it.

When you get into something like this you can get kinda overwhelmed by all the options that crawl out of the woodwork. WHen I first thought I might like to smoke a pipe my assumption was... stick the stuff in the pipe and puff on it. There is a lot more to it than I originally thought. There really is an art to all this.

Interestingly enough the fact that there is an art to making a pipe and tobacco work together enforces my interest in smoking a pipe.

Thanks

Ray
Ray Cover
flix

Post by flix »

Hi Ray,

I've been smoking flakes for a while and have discovered that it's another level of smoking art above other mixtures. They're great, but, require more effort.

First, I would use a smaller, group 3 or 2 pipe.

I would then check the moisture level of the flakes. If they're dry, you can either crumble them up or rub them out. Smoke them as you would a regular cut.

If they're moist, you can either dry them out until they're at the desired moisture level, or go the path less traveled. I've taken plug/flake tobacco and cubed it up. The cubes are about an 1/8th inch a side. You take the cubes and gravity feed them into the pipe bowl. Don't tamp! Now just light it as you would normally. This should take a couple of lights, but, if you're patient you might just find this works best. When you can't seem to light it anymore, that's time to tamp or dump the ash. Repeat...

Hope this helps,

--Michael
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

Thanks for the tips Michael.

I will give them a try. I got a couple onces to try so that should be enough to experiment with.

Ray
Ray Cover
Spence Pipes

Bulleseye

Post by Spence Pipes »

I picked up some of the Bulleseye rounds and loved them. That was the first of that type I had tried, which in turn made me start to try some tin tobacco. Yeah yeah, i know not the bulk stuff. But when you smoke as much as i do, it is just cost effective.