Chubby Checker

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Chubby Checker

Post by kbadkar »

Here's a fat and twisted sitter pipe. Right now it's just tripoli buffed, no stain or wax. I'm putting finishing touches on hold until I decide it's fate. I like the birdseye panels and the shape flows with the grain between... but it's clunky. There are a couple pin prick flaws and I have enough material that I can continue to work it down and thin out the design and hope for the best. Honest opinions... should I work Chubby down? The outside dims are 5-1/2" across the top, 2-5/8" down. The bowl ID is 3/4", depth 1-7/8". Another issue is the button isn't exactly parallel with the front plane of the pipe, but there's not much I can do because of the bend (see top view). Is this a real aesthetic/functional no-no in your opinion? I wish I had 1" rod to do it right from scratch, rather than using the pre-fab. Should I order rod and wait?

[/img]Image
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Okay, I love "Chubby". He's fat. He's a little different. He's bold. He's manly. And he's cool with who he is. :D

But you know, if you want an honest opinion, the one little thing I don't really care much for is that panel that Chubby sits on. To me, it seems like it disrupts the flow of some of the lines.

If I were going to do anything, I'd abandon the "sitter" thing in favor of getting those lines to flow again.

But maybe that's just me. To me, if a pipe "sits", that's cool. But I wouldn't go out of my way to make it sit unless the person I'm making it for insists on a sitter.

One thing you might consider if you do decide to abandon the sitter thing is making a custom stand out of a piece of scrap that sets "Chubby" up just exactly like you want him to be.

That way, he can sit and still have nice flowing lines. Does that make sense?

I don't know, that's just my two cents worth.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Sit, good boy.

Post by kbadkar »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I set out to make it sit, so before all else, I figured the fulcrum and shaved the butt. I stuck with it and worked around it even though the shape out grew it. Next time I'll let the wood tell me if it likes to sit.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Well, you know, it's an awesome pipe. And I sure wouldn't ruin "Chubby" trying to get rid of that sitter-panel. Maybe the thing to do is make another pipe just exactly like this one, without the sitter-panel, and then mail it to me. :wink:
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Why not?

Post by kbadkar »

Sure, will do, I'll check my wood pile and see if I have another piece of briar exactly like it! :lol: