Refinishing question

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
thymaridas

Refinishing question

Post by thymaridas »

I've got a pipe with a dark red stain I would like to refinish. Other than sanding, is there any way to lighten up the finish before restaining? I would like to keep the shank stamping, but prefer a different color stain.
kkendall

Tripoli?

Post by kkendall »

You could try either a green (320 grit) or red (420 grit) tripoli. But regardless how you do it, the depth of the stamp will determine if you will lose the markings when you try to get it to bare wood.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Try wiping down with an alcohol soaked rag first. After that, the only way to get the old stain off is sanding.

Rad
thymaridas

Post by thymaridas »

RadDavis wrote:Try wiping down with an alcohol soaked rag first. After that, the only way to get the old stain off is sanding.

Rad
I figured this was probably the only solution, but thought I would ask just in case. What I may do is only partially sand, and use a use a light brown stain to see if I can reduce the red. Will this work, or will I just end up with a strange red color?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I dunno. You'll have to try it and see. :)

The brown will definitely tone down the red. I have no idea what the end result will be.

You might try red and then the brown on a pice fo scrap first, if you have both color stains.

Rad