My Fifth Pipe - A Pick-Axe sitter

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
souljer

My Fifth Pipe - A Pick-Axe sitter

Post by souljer »

Hi everyone,

I've been working on this pipe for almost a year, but not consistently. Anyway it finally got finished enough to take some pictures.

It's a small pipe, probably a group 3. The grooves came about because it had a lot of pits and flaws but I liked the grain and don't have sandblasting equipment. So I decided to carve in a way that would remove or hide the flaws while highlighting the linear and birds-eye grain. I also like sitters so I "trained" it to do so even though pick-axes normally don't.

The red line is my stem logo and the band is actually a shank extension. The wood is also briar.

Let me know what you think.

www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
magruder

Post by magruder »

Hi,
I like the stummel, grain, shape is nice.
The stem doesn't seem to work very well for me - a bit too heavy visually
and a bit too busy shape wise. Just my opinion.
Overall pretty nice.
Thanx for posting it.
Best,
Steven Magruder Morrisette
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hi,

Thanks for you input. I can see what you are saying, and of course, all shapes are not for all people.

I was actually thinking of reducing the shank at the bowl junction; just trim it up a bit and make it less wide. That may lead to thinning out the bit also. The whole pipe is rather small, so it looks smaller and more delicate in real life than it does in these pictures.

I suppose posting a pipe pic up for a review less than a month before Chicago was not the brightest idea I've had... :lol:

... or maybe you all just hate it and are too kind to tell me. :D
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art