Another White Stemmed

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Leus

Another White Stemmed

Post by Leus »

Yup, another pipe with a white stem.

(More pictures here.)

(I usually post my work here, but it's also for sale. I don't know if this can be viewed as unethical or something; but I doubt another pipemaker would consider buying a pipe :) so I'll assume it's okay. )
Leus

Post by Leus »

The pipe has, indeed, problems with alignment of the airway. However, I don't care for that kind of stuff; the air hole meets the chamber just in the base, and, in my humble opinion, that's the really important thing. I understand potential customers can be sensitive at this stuff, and that's why the picture is offered at mere 80 bucks.

The shank / bowl join is not that weak. I believe the "weakness" is more an unintended effect of lighting. Take, for example, this picture:
Yup, I can see. Almost no definition on the shank/bowl join. However, take a look at these two pictures:
Still seems weak, but it's not that bad, really :D

As for shank issues: yep, there is a little problem on one side of the shank, right where it meets the stem (it's kinda wavy.)
This can be barely noticed when you inspect the pipe. It's still there, thought, and I prefer the pictures exaggerate this instead of hiding (a pleasant surprise is better than a bad one.)

Anyways, thank you for your comments, they are mostly appreciated.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Leus,

No worries posting pipes that are for sale. Everyone is welcome to post such pipes.

What a nice piece of wood. Gorgeous grain and birdseye. I like your use of white stems. I've always said I don't like that style of stem, but your stain offsets beautifully with the white stems.

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice birds eye on that pipe!

Looks good to me. The few flaws you pointed out were barely visable in the photos. Regarding the drilling, I have trouble getting that just right too. Getting better, but not there yet.

The only critism I have, and this might simply be the pictures, is that the angle on the front of the bowl seems to end too soon and head into the rounded section.

Nice looking pipe big guy.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Oh, don't worry, I don't feel you are being picky or something. I understand your intentions are good (you see, my english is not very mucho bueno and I probably sounded offended or defensive; be sure, I was not :)

Now I understand what you mean. Yes, that line was intentional; it just didn't turn as expected. However, in person, the effect is not that dramatic.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

the only thing I'd comment on is the stain. I agree the stain is beautiful and the wood is great too... The only thing that I notice is that when I look at the top of the shank the stain seems to be darker than the rest of the stain on the pipe. Now, I think that is probably just lighting, my observation is that the darker stain (as it appears on top of the shank) really seems to play well off the white stem.

Leus, yo creo que comunicastes bien todo lo que dijistes. Tu ingles esta perfecto por lo que yo miro. Yo he leido cosas que vos escribistes aqui antes y yo pense que vos eras gringo. Per despues llegue a tu sitio de internet y me di cuenta que sos de chile... felicitaciones por una pipa muy linda!
Leus

Post by Leus »

bscofield wrote:the only thing I'd comment on is the stain. I agree the stain is beautiful and the wood is great too... The only thing that I notice is that when I look at the top of the shank the stain seems to be darker than the rest of the stain on the pipe. Now, I think that is probably just lighting, my observation is that the darker stain (as it appears on top of the shank) really seems to play well off the white stem.
The understain is, indeed, uneven, and the top of the rim is, actually, darker. I'm still getting the hang on staining.
bscofield wrote: Leus, yo creo que comunicastes bien todo lo que dijistes. Tu ingles esta perfecto por lo que yo miro. Yo he leido cosas que vos escribistes aqui antes y yo pense que vos eras gringo. Per despues llegue a tu sitio de internet y me di cuenta que sos de chile... felicitaciones por una pipa muy linda!
Ese sí que es un buen español (aunque por el "sos", adivino que aprendiste en Argentina).

¡Gracias por los cumplidos!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Argentina, el hogar del "castellano"...

No lo aprendi de argentina... si lo hubiera aprendido de argentina te diria "ché"

Yo vivi en Guatemala 8 años, estudie alla para todo mi "high school." Desde los nueve años hasta los 17 vivi alla con mi familia...
Nick

Post by Nick »

LOL

Man, all the Spanish I know I picked up off of Dora the Explorer.