Koa Wood

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
JMB

Koa Wood

Post by JMB »

I ask this before but I can't find the post about it now. Has anyone tried making a pipe out Koa Wood from Hawaii. I pick up some on a visit 4 years back. Been setting in the Shop Attic all this time. Should be good and dry now. I do know it is a hardwood.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Worth a shot, right?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Found this on a search for Koa:
Today Koa is valued for furniture, guitars, boxes, paneling and bowl turning. It is interesting to note that Hawaiians of earlier times did not use it for bowls or platters because of an unpleasant flavor associated with the wood.

The wood has a janka hardness of 1010 which is pretty hard. I wrote off to the Forestry service about the hardness of briar. They're snail mailing me some info.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Thanks Nick. looking forward to what they have to say about it. I made some pipe rest out of some about two years ago. Koa has a beautiful grain and shines like a new penny. I do know they want two legs & at least one arm for furniture made from it. But then everything is High $$$ in Hawaii.

Nick wrote:Found this on a search for Koa:
Today Koa is valued for furniture, guitars, boxes, paneling and bowl turning. It is interesting to note that Hawaiians of earlier times did not use it for bowls or platters because of an unpleasant flavor associated with the wood.

The wood has a janka hardness of 1010 which is pretty hard. I wrote off to the Forestry service about the hardness of briar. They're snail mailing me some info.
JMB

Post by JMB »

I know Pooka, I got lucky, my wife's brother has lived on the Big Island for around twenty years. One of our visits he took me to a friends place on top of one of the MT. He owns a Koa saw mill. He filled up one of Brother-in-Laws duffel bags with gut ends and gave it to me. Just under the air line limit of 75lbs. Don't even want to how much it would have cost. I made a few Pipe Rest out of some, the rest has been drying out in my shop attic.
Count your self lucky for having lived there. Which Island were you on.

Pooka wrote:Koa is expensive even at the source. It's limited due to tight control on how much is harvested. Protected source. I lived 7 years in Hawaii and the price never got better.
JMB

Post by JMB »

I'm the one impressed, would love to live in Hawaii. But we have 4 dogs and it's like 6 months to a year before you can get them in. When we are in Honolulu we always stay at the Hali Koa. Love that hotel. Most of the time we are on the Big island, don't have all the hustle & bustle of the other Island. At least for now.
On the pipe rest, the "tight with a $" in me say's sell it, but like the Hawaii people the Texan in me say's you can't sell something that was given in friendship. I would be happy to send you some to make one or two. Most of the stock is 2 1/2" X 3" X 3' long.
I have a Table Saw to rip it and a planer to get it to the working thickest you need. Let me know and I will get up there and see what is left.
JB
Pooka wrote:Oahu. Wow, I'm impressed with that load of wood! Make some more pipe-stands outta that stuff and I might grab one from you. Original/unique stands are scarce so far as I've seen.

I'm working on using the leftovers from my blocks for stands. Made one for the cedar pipe. It was only a tad too small to make another pipe, so I dug a couple holes and what-not. The result was a "Grade-5A Plateaux straight-grain pipe stand." Real pretty.
JMB

Post by JMB »

lol in that case I would have to pay you to take it.

Pooka wrote:Naww. It'd be paying for the craftsmanship...
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I'm an engraver by personal choice.
aha! That explains your incredible signatures... you do those with a dremil right?

That's ludicrous! It's been so long since I've even written anything with a pen or pencil on a regular basis... don't even want to think about what my dremil handwriting would be like...
JMB

Post by JMB »

I am always open to a good trade. "Warning" I come from a long line of horse traders. lol just joking.

[quote="Pooka"]Hm.... How 'bout a trade of sorts? I'm an engraver by personal choice. Maybe some labor for some koa?
jeff

Post by jeff »

The koa idea sounds interesting. I've seen several guitars made out of the wood and they are all beautiful. It is great with a natural finish.

Jeff
JMB

Post by JMB »

I work on a piece over the weekend, you are right it is great "with a natural finish." The problem I found is you want be able to stain other colors. It want take stain very well.

jeff wrote:The koa idea sounds interesting. I've seen several guitars made out of the wood and they are all beautiful. It is great with a natural finish.

Jeff
jeff

Post by jeff »

So, you plan on staining this wood? Although it is obviously up to the personal preference of the individual, it would be a shame to see such naturally beautiful wood changed in color. All the same, I'd be interested to see what you come up with when you're done. It could be very nice despite my initial skepticism. Drop a photo on the site when you finish it, if you would.

Jeff
JMB

Post by JMB »

The reason I mention "staining" is IF someone wanted to make a lot of Pipes out of Koa, they would be limited on the "colors" as Koa finnish's out in a reddish /brown natural finish. The pipes would all look the same. Koa really looks great in the Furniture the Hawaiian Craftsman turn out.

Jeff wrote:
So, you plan on staining this wood?
jeff

Post by jeff »

Okay, you're suggesting that you are going to prepare several pipes and want to stain to add variety. I understand where you are coming from. Again, it would be great to see what you come up with. I'm interested to see what kinds of staining combinations would best compliment or bring the grain out of the wood. Good luck.

Jeff