A few of my latest pipes.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
custom300

A few of my latest pipes.

Post by custom300 »

I haven't posted any pictures for awhile. I realize these pictures are only fair, but I wanted to get something out here.

This is the pipe I gave to my son Casey for Christmas 2006.

This is the pipe I gave to my son Justin for Christmas 2006.

This is my first stab at a free form. I got into a bad spot just behind the bowl and in front of the shank. It kind of changed the shape from the original design, but I really like this pipe. I turned the stem by hand on my Delta Midi lathe. I created the rustification using several techniques..dremel tool with several bits, wire wheel, with several passes. As always, I appreciate feedback.

Blessing and Peace

Jamie
Nick

Post by Nick »

Love the texture on the last piece. Very cool. It looks almost water worn. All three are great looking pipes bud. The cumberland insert on the second piece seems a bit much for my taste. Kind of breaks up the line, IMHO.

All in all though, great pipes.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Nick,
Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean about the cumberland extension. I had a little piece of cumberland leftover that wouldn't make a whole stem, so I thought I would add it to this pipe. I tend to overdo extensions.

Thanks again.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
souljer

Post by souljer »

Hi,

I like them all, but I think I like the second one (Justin's pipe) the best.

I like the cumberland extension/band. It could be a little thinner, but the ratio of shank to band is not bad and it works. I thought it was wood at first. What I do not care for is the yellow stain (if that's the true color). I think if it was a red brown or light brown it would go well with the cumberland and black stem.

However it will probably darken up nicely as it's smoked and this color may bring things better into harmony. The lines in general seem fine and the grain looks good, at least from this side.

Keep it up.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Souljer wrote:What I do not care for is the yellow stain (if that's the true color). I think if it was a red brown or light brown it would go well with the cumberland and black stem.
Thanks a lot. Actually, the color is not at all accurate in the picture. I stained it totally black and let totally dry. Then I came back and sanded it down to bare wood. The black really stayed with the grain. Then I polished and waxed it. It's really a pretty interesting finish.

Thanks again
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
sethile

Post by sethile »

Great to see these pipes, Jamie!

We are both blessed to have sons who we can give pipes to at Christmas. I'm sure these were a hit! I like the overall shape of both of these, and think you did well shaping to the grain. I find the inserts a little distracting too. I think if they were slimer, and perhaps a thin plain black ring of your stem material on the end of the stem to sandwich the decorative inserts between the stem and stummel would help. I have constant battles with myself in this area. I like inserts and use them a lot, but I seldom get them to work as nicely as I think they should.

Nice work on the rusticated free hand. I like the overall shape, and the unique rustification flows very naturally with it. Very bold, but it works great! I like the shape of the stem too. I've yet to try any bead work, or even a millitary stem at all.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Hi Jamie,

I like them all! The last one would be my favorite! Great rustication, looks nearly a deep sandblast. Very well done.

I can imagine the finish of the second pipe looks beautiful - the only thing I don't like so much is the cumberland extention too... It redirects from the nice finish and the well done stem...

Best regards,

Heinz_D
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Scott and Heinz
Thank you for your kind comments.

My preoccupation with extensions is somewhat an issue of discipline for me. I was so thrilled the first time i made an extension where the faces matched well, that i tend to over use that technique. Further, I've kind of taken a poor man's approach to stem extensions, leveraging available scraps of cumberland and lucite, to take the place of exotic woods.

I'm becoming somewhat more confident in my stems, implementing the advice of many on this forum...so i think I will cool it for awhile on the extensions.

Again, thanks for your feedback. As you fellas know, it does help to make us better.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie