Question about sanding

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Briarfox

Question about sanding

Post by Briarfox »

I'm working on my first pipe and I have a question regarding sanding the stem and stummel together. When I sand the stem I get a greenish dust on the sand paper. Problem is it seems to stain the brair. Should I bee sanding/buffing these together? I'm guessing that the greenish color will buff out but I haven't tried it yet. Looking for some words of wisdom before I give it a go.

Thanks
Last edited by Briarfox on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

That is normal. What I usually do is after sanding the pipe, I wipe it down with a wet cotton ball. That usually cleans it up a bit before staining and buffing.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Thanks achduliebe, I'll give it a try. Just nervous. I was getting worried that it wouldnt come out. I havent tried a wet cotton ball or any alcohol. Just sum wiping with a dry rag, it didn't work well.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Briar,

As you get to the finer grits, that stuff comes right off with no problem. It'll wipe off with the tail of your apron, shirt, your hand, etc.

Rad
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Yeah the finner grit paper makes the difference. I first noticed the greenish color getting on the pipe when I was still rough sanding. I haven't allowed the two to mix since. I tried it and it wipes off just fine. Thanks again.