Looking for shop tools

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
darksider57

Looking for shop tools

Post by darksider57 »

Hi I'm new to pipe making and looking for tools special for the job.I have a drill press and going to have a Jet mini lathe on Monday.I have a mortise and shank end square tool from Pimo and an assortment of drill bits,Dremel tool,scroll saw and a few other things.I'm looking for any other tools I might need to get a good start so if anyone has any suggestions or anyting they want to sell please contact me.I'm not sure if I want to buy the Tenon tool from Pimo or if I can do it on my lathe,I'm getting the 4 jaw chuck with it.Any help or ideas.Like I said I'm new to this and I want to start off right so I can get as much enjoyment as possable and also make some nice pipes.
bvartist

Re: Looking for shop tools

Post by bvartist »

darksider57 wrote:I have a mortise and shank end square tool from Pimo and an assortment of drill bits,Dremel tool,scroll saw and a few other things.......
Sounds like you are ready to go! One word of advice from an advanced newbie, the mortise and shank tool from pimo is ok, but limits you to one size shank. When you can, get a good precision ground forstner bit to square the shank, and a good bit to drill the mortise. More versatility! :wink:
I'm not sure if I want to buy the Tenon tool from Pimo or if I can do it on my lathe,I'm getting the 4 jaw chuck with it.Any help or ideas.Like I said I'm new to this and I want to start off right so I can get as much enjoyment as possable and also make some nice pipes.
Pimo tenon tool is an exercise in frustration, IMO. Takes a good deal of fiddling to get things right. Get some pin jaws for your 4-jaw chuck and take a look at using delrin for tenons. (See Kurt's sticky post under Stems!) Delrin is a lot easier and less frustrating than the Pimo tool!

Hope that helps! Have fun! 8)

David