Spoon Bits

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi Brad,

I don't know what size most of the expert pipemakers use, but isn't anything less than 3/4 diameter too small? Presently I use ballnose bits in 3/4, 7/8,and 15/16
All the best,
Tano
ckr

Post by ckr »

Brad,

I am unfamiliar with spoon bits in general. That being the case I would just as soon get the set of seven by Chifton as I would not know how the ones you are making would preform better. After doing so I might learn something more and possible kick myself in the butt for passing this up.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/pr ... ts_id/1836
Fumo in pace :pipe:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If Brad's making the ones I'm thinking of, the same ones that a lot of high-grade makers use, it's no comparison to the Clifton ones. The Clifton bits are good (from what I hear) but they're not profiled to a 'bullet' shape - a sort of rounded cone. That means you're pretty much stuck with billiard-ish shapes due to the shape and size of the tobacco chamber. The rounded cone that you find on modern 'spoon' bits give way more (as in *lots* more) freedom in the shape of your pipe. It's the same shape I grind my Silver and Deming bits to.

I really can't imagine you being disappointed with a set of Brad's bits. Done right, they're the ultimate in pipe making tobacco chamber bits.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

ckr wrote:Brad,

I am unfamiliar with spoon bits in general. That being the case I would just as soon get the set of seven by Chifton as I would not know how the ones you are making would preform better. After doing so I might learn something more and possible kick myself in the butt for passing this up.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/pr ... ts_id/1836
Those will be really fantastic for making Windsor chairs, but nothing else. The name "spoon bits" has ust been attached to these things because nobody knows what the hell to call them. Properly speaking, they're not spoon bits. They're custom made self tracking tobacco chamber bits that cannot be replaced by anything readily available in the marketplace.

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote:Those will be really fantastic for making Windsor chairs, but nothing else. The name "spoon bits" has ust been attached to these things because nobody knows what the hell to call them. Properly speaking, they're not spoon bits. They're custom made self tracking tobacco chamber bits that cannot be replaced by anything readily available in the marketplace.
*smacks forehead*

That's what I was *trying* to say, and failed. Thanks Todd.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
brooklynpipes

Post by brooklynpipes »

definitely interested in the set. just curious if the bit will taper toward the bottom....
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hi brad

i m in

jim
ckr

Post by ckr »

After doing so I might learn something more and possible kick myself in the butt for passing this up.
I'm in.

Kurt/Todd, Thank you so much for the sore butt.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
souljer

Post by souljer »

I know Brad knows how to make a pipe and he said he's a machinist.

That combined with Todd and Kurt's endorsements means there really is no choice for me.

Put me down for a set.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
BDP

Spoon Bits

Post by BDP »

All,

So far as I understand, I have 6 committed people:

Souljer
Dan Gabrieli
JBacon
CKR
Nick
Kurt Huhn

I will leave this list open for a week for everyone to view and for final decisions to be made... once this train leaves the station the price goes to "per/piece" if anyone wants one made...

Brad
BDP

Post by BDP »

Tano wrote:Hi Brad,

I don't know what size most of the expert pipemakers use, but isn't anything less than 3/4 diameter too small? Presently I use ballnose bits in 3/4, 7/8,and 15/16
Hi Tano,

I don't know what size they use either! I use an 11/16th at the bottom of a bowl sometimes when I want to make sure I have enough wall thickness on a narrow bowl exterior. I then use the 3/4 bit to open up the top of the bowl wider, making a nice tapered bowl chamber. By the way, 11/16ths is one of my personal favorite bowl sizes, especially for flakes. It is small in diameter, but delivers a really nice overall smoking experience. Try it for yourself..

Brad
Nick

Post by Nick »

I find that the 21/32 bowl size gives me a far superior smoke with flakes than the 11/16th. I mean rreeaally! Who uses 11/16ths anymore. Its so 20th century.

;)
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi All
So I guess the sizes have been decided on. I'm a little reluctant on the 11/16, and at 250 for the set i'm afraid I will only use the bigger ones, and thats too much money for me, for two bits. Hence this time I will pass.
Thanks
All the best,
Tano
magruder

Post by magruder »

Perhaps it would be timely to remind folks that these bits are the only way to shape first and drill second. I'll be getting a set for sure Brad.
Thanx,
Steve Morrisette
sethile

Re: Spoon Bits

Post by sethile »

BDP wrote:All,
So far as I understand, I have 6 committed people:
Brad, Please count me in too! I've got to have them, and I'll figure out how to afford them later :wink:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Tano wrote:

<Presently I use ballnose bits in 3/4, 7/8,and 15/16>

I agree with those sizes and would commit to a set of 3/4, 7/8 amd 15/16. I don't know anything of what's required in machining a bit but wouldn't it be possible to offer your three sizes plus these three and let each person pick a set of three for the $250 price?

I think perhaps most of the pipes made for sale use the smaller bowl sizes but there are still lots of folks, myself included who relish the larger bowl sizes. There is always the possibility that those of us who aspire to be sucessful pipemakers would come back and order the three smaller sizes at a later date.

bob gilbert
Tano

Post by Tano »

All I'm saying that for me, to see the value, is to buy three bits that I would use. Maybe one other size could be offered, or possibly for those that can afford it, offer a set of five.
All the best,
Tano
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Guys, a little public service announcement:

Brad is providing a service. Perhaps he will make enough money to cover his time, but it is unlikely. The only this can be done is by offering bits in the most common sizes and asking who wants to participate. Don't ask the man to make yours a little bit bigger, or a little bit smaller, or pink, or green, or with crown molding or twenty inch rims. It's not feasible. And as far as the price goes, you'd be hard pressed to get a single one of these made by a machine shop for les than $250. Having them made by a former toolmaker who *also* knows the specific requirements of a pipemaker is invaluable. So, even if you think you're only going to use one or two of them, this is your chance to get a set. They're not available and they're not likely to become so.

Todd
Skip

Spoon bits

Post by Skip »

Count me in
Skip Elliott
Tano

Post by Tano »

Brad,
I guess I'd be foolish not to listen to those who know more than me. Thats what this forum is about, right?
Count me in.
How do we get a hold of each other to iron out the details?
All the best,
Tano