Spoon Bits

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
BDP

Post by BDP »

Leus,

I am still waiting on two payment I am expecting this week. If you can send the funds, there is still time to include you. I have not yet gotten under way, but will be as soon as all the funds are in.

Brad
Leus

Post by Leus »

Whee!

Any thoughts on how much would cost to send them to Chile?
BDP

Post by BDP »

Leus,

Include $25 for postage. The set is $265. The 7/8ths is $90 if you want one.

Best,
Brad
BDP

Post by BDP »

Guys,

I got a call from the owner of the machine shop yesterday and he started by sayaing he had some bad news for me. My heart sank as my initial thought was "Oh no, he's pulling the plug on our deal". Well, it wasn't that bad- he received another job he had bid on that will require his second shift stay in place for another month. Good news for him, bad for us.
Anyway, I'm one month out from a start, but have a material order placed so we are moving in the right direction..
Thanks for Your Patience,
Brad
Tano

Post by Tano »

Patience is a virtue, and the interest on my money is 10% per week.
LOL.
All the best,
Tano
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hi brad
thanks for keeping us informed- if you have a chance

could you kind of show us what the bit will look like just a rough drawing

you are doing us a big service just for offering to do this.

thank you very much

jim
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the heads up Brad.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Thanks for the update, Brad. I know they'll be well worth waiting for, and I've got lots to do between now and then distroying perfectly good materials with my existing methods :shock:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
KenLamb

Spoon bits

Post by KenLamb »

Greetings-
I have finally designed a single flute cutter for tobacco chamber shaping, after shaping the stummel. Designed to mount in the headstock / chuck of the lathe.
I have tried other pipe makers designs and have had their help and input. At Chicago last year Bo Nordh had drawn a profile on a napkin rough but the top view helped me in the concept. A young pipe maker living in Denmark from Portugal was disussing tooling with Bo as well. I am very fortunate to have spent time with Bo thanks to Per.
These cutters are available in 18mm thru 22mm in diameter. Each set will include a rougher for removing most material before your finish cut.
See you Chicago in May.

Happy smoking,

Ken
KenLamb

To Brad Pohlman

Post by KenLamb »

Brad-

Good luck in your venture.
Your price point is more favorable than mine will be. The pictures of Todd Johnson's bits are my first crack at the spoon bit thanks to Todd's help.

Sincerely,

Ken
(See you in Chicago my friend)
BDP

Post by BDP »

Update!,

I get the shop on the 14th of this coming month. This is going to be difficult, juggling this on top of making pipes for Chicago, but I'll do what I can; anyway that's a start date.

Brad
sethile

Post by sethile »

Thanks for the update, Brad. Sorry to hear about the timing in terms of your Chicago inventory. I'm hoping to go this year, and would love to see a bunch of your work in person. Tough weekend for me to get away and a busy time leading up to it too. Hopefully it will work out wher I can go, at least, but I won't have many pipes to take.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
BDP

Post by BDP »

Scott,

It would be great to see you there. I could report it to Charles and maybe that would motivate him to make it next year...

Brad
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Is it too late??!!!

Post by kbadkar »

Hello Brad,

I finally get to post... (thanks to Kurt!). When I first stumbled upon this forum and read this topic, I was lamenting that I didn't find it earlier. Then I read that the machining was going to be delayed and I was elated!! Maybe, I prayed, the window was still open. Is it too late to add to the spoon bit order? I'll happily ante up the dough for the set of 3! Please, please, pretty please? I'm eager to move up from my modified paddle (now spade) bits. I can do the PayPal thing, just let me know the email/ID for payment ($280 including shipping, right?) and I'll release the funds.

Best regards,
Kris
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Brad,

I feel your pain. Chicago does this to me every year. At the moment I have 5 pipes finished for the show :oops:. I usually aim at 15. The last month before Chicago is always hell. I expect to get through a good number of audio books in the workshop in the next few weeks. Hang in there.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com