Oom Paul's

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ckr

Oom Paul's

Post by ckr »

RIGHT:Savinelli 1261 - Dry System with balsa filter, my model
BLUE:Cherrywood - Test Run
LEFT:Rusticated and shape lost

BTW: Contrary to what I have read the Cherry caked very easily, it also is a smokes as nicely as the Savinelli. After the cake formed it imparts no taste/flavor to the tobacco that I can detect. The blocks were boiled for about 12 hours, 4 water changes and are now 8 months old. The wood was extremely easy to work with and worked well with the unconventional color. A stock wellington bit was used and I felt it was kinda short but wow does that make it easy.

I found it very enjoyable to model out on a free block without having the worry of screwing up. I'll enjoy it when I can work on briar without that apprehension. Oh, there is one block not shown that was chambered about 1/8 inch too deep and at these angles the result is a real killer.

The rusticated one (my first rusty) had a nice pit on the left side, after removal I lost most of the curve and it is more of a brandy glass shape. I over compensated cutting the red/black acrylic rod and the stem is about a 1/2 inch too long.

The final pretty much hit the shape I wanted and the stem came out very well (IMO). My biggest set back was when I applied the black at 400 grit. It took so deeply that when wet sanding at 600 grit it just would not come out and I had to drop back to 400. It did not go according to plan and I am not sure if it was the wood or if I over heated it. I applied the yellow after 600 and the red after 800. The same looks awsome on my brother's X-mas present but not as striking of a contrast on this one. Unfortunately it is wrapped.

All in all I feel it came out ok, dealing the wellington caps and the ?military mount? stem was a learning experience. On the rusticated one I sanded some from the top rear to fit the cap. Wrong, it skewed the angle of the cap with the stem. In the last I left in 1/2 inch dowel in the mortise while shaping and removing wood as a guide to have it all line up.

The stem dot is a core drilling from a rhodinite knife scale.
The stems are also interchangable, real neat!

Yes, I need a light box at some point.

And finally, Merry Christmas to all!
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Karol

Post by Karol »

ah, nicely done. i'm normally trying to avoid full bent pipes but when done like this i can't help myself. love them all.
ckr

Post by ckr »

Thanks Karol, I like my Sav so much I just had to try some knock offs. Much of it was new territory for me, hence the cherry test run, but I am very happy I did as they all have preformed splendidly.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

ckr,

I agree, those are very nice. I tried to send you a private message with some questions about the Oom Paul's but it is not making it to you for some reason. It says the message was sent but when I look in the Sent folder the message is not there.

Anyways, do you have an email address that I could bounce some questions off of you about your Oom Pauls?

Thanks,
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Bryan,

Maybe try that little button below his post that looks like this:

:twisted:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I am going to put this as southern as I can.

DANG IT, he ain't got one a dem! Shoot!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

He don't?! I see one, how come *blink*

Oh. I'm site admin....

:oops:

Duh.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com