Christmas Pipe, Etude #17, Smooth Bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sethile

Christmas Pipe, Etude #17, Smooth Bulldog

Post by sethile »

I hope this is the first of what will become a tradition of producing SEThile Christmas pipes. This one and only Christmas pipe for 2006 is a gift for my son, John, who loves Bulldogs, and loves Christmas.
In the above pic especially, the stem looks too long. It may be. Sometimes it looks too long to me, and other times it looks good.

Part of my motivation working with this challenging shape has been to make a Bulldog for John. While not without issues, this one finally made the grade of "giftable", meaning I'm not ashamed to give it to him. I'm also finding bulldogs to be highly educational.
Specs in Inches:
Bowl Height: 2.05"
Bowl diameter at rim:1.74
Overall Length: 6.25 "
Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Chamber Depth: 1.53"
Hand cut German Ebonite Stem
Delrin Tenon

I find this to be an extremely challenging shape. The lines and angles demand symmetry, and show every deviation from it. I'm hoping to find ways to work more effectively and reduce some of the guess work. Anyone have any dog tricks?

One thing I've noticed is that I stop seeing problems for some reason. My wife has been a huge help to me. She has a great eye for detail, and sees symmetry issues immediately. At several points in the process of shaping this one she identified issues for me that I then found screamed out for attention. At one point I'd thought I was done, and had even stained and buffed. She took one quick look and pointed out a huge issue that I'd simply overlooked. I've learned to bring things to her sooner, and to try to find ways to see with fresh eyes myself.

A couple of flaws and sand pits, but nothing terrible, and decent grain, so I kept it smooth. The stain is not exactly what I was after. I think it's a little too red. The first staining was better. The mix had more brown and less red. This is Algerian briar (Tassili grade from Pipemakers Emporium). I'd hoped for more dramatic birdseye, and better transitions.
ImageImage

I'd really appreciate any candid reactions or suggestions you might have. Thanks for looking!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Scott,

Very nice pipe!

The only thing that looks a bit off to me is that the shank is a bit thick where it joins the bowl.

Rad
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Hi Scott,
Very nice pipe, I like it.
Opposite to Rad I like namely this curve in the shank where the shank is maybe a little bit thick but this makes the bend so graceful.
Another thing I found in this curve. Maybe it can be done more light from the middle to the bowl and fitting… I can’t see it really good but I think the vulcanite is a little thicker than the briar. This happens with diamond shanks.
The pipe is wonderful. I believe your son will be happy with it!

George
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

GbpBulgaria wrote: Another thing I found in this curve. Maybe it can be done more light from the middle to the bowl George
It seems I told the same as Rad... :oops:
ckr

Post by ckr »

Scott,

I admire the way you stick with a shape until you nail it down. I have been contemplating doing a bulldog but you are making it a tough act to follow. Your son is gonna be thrilled.

On first seeing the pipe I felt something was off, but wasn't sure just what. I determined that the bowl was too short and then was reading about the stem length. Finally, arriving at the dimensions and seeing the bowl was a hair over two killed that theory. So I think Rad is right, and what I was seeing was the shank width distorting the balance.

That said, it is still a beautiful pipe and Bulldogs are (IMO) the toughest shape as so much is going on.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Just beautiful bud. You've really taken all the critique you have received and integrated it into this pipe. Very cool The shank is fine to my eye. To me, it is a mixing of Italian and Danish styles. The flow and organic curves to this piece definately have Danish influences, but the shape and lines lean much more heavily on the Italian tradition. Nicely done bud. Your son will love this.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Scott,
It may be a little bulky at the transition from shank to stem. Too long, not for my taste....long elegant lines, nice. I think you've blended the two schools very well, keen eye my friend!
Best,
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
magruder

Post by magruder »

Scott,
A bloody good bulldog. What is this your 10th pipe or something?
You've got a gift for this my friend.
Best,
steve
sethile

Post by sethile »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I really appreciate all the help and encouragement, a lot!

Steve, it's my 17th... Yes, I'm a noob for sure, but they're coming a long. Hoping to continue to make slow steady progress thanks to all the great help I'm getting here!

The shank/stem junction is still my largest trouble spot in terms of shaping. Something seems to elude me every time. Often it's too thick. Sometimes it's just the top or bottom. The stem also looks too thick in relation to the shank, and I think the stem is also too wide. In gernal I'm overly cautious with removing material.

Yes, Rad is totally right! My wife also thought the shank was a bit thick at the bowl junction and believe it or not, it's better than it was, but it's still too chunky. This Brad Pohlmann Pup is still my all time favorite Bulldog, and I confess to trying to immitate the shank/bowl junction. Here's Brad's:
It also has a thicker than average shank, but Brad's is completely brilliant in the context of the overall shape, where as mine simply looks chunky. Actually, I think my issue is all along the bottom of the entire stummel, and even part of the stem. Here is mine, with changes that would have been closser to what I had intended (the angle exagerates the issue, but this is what I think I would change if possible):
I'd also remove a bit more of the bottom of the stem besides. I think that would fix my shank issue, as well as get closser to the lines I had intended. Unfortunitely, my chamber drilling is too deep to pull it off, and it would be a total rip off of Brad's (at this point in my development I aspire to imitate some of the gems that have been my inspiration, not that I'll ever pull it off). Once I have some better skills and more experience I hope to be more original.

The gracefull lines of the masters are a constant amazement to me. I just love looking at certain pipes. How do they see these shapes? How do they pull them off so well?! They are truly inspired, and inspiring. This one of Brad's in particular keeps me coming back again and again every time I think of making a bulldog. Also the S. Bang bulldogs and Rhodesians.

I've made three bulldogs, and each time I've started out with plans for something more Danish--then end up leaning more toward the traditional Italian or English than I intend... I do like the blend of the two for this shape (Danish and Traditional), but end up differently than where I intend when starting out. I guess maybe that's pipe making in a nutshell though? Unfortunitely, for me it's less intentional. More making mistakes and compensating than anything really inspired.

I'm going to keep refining my bulldogs, and hope to to make something beautifull and original eventually. I'm starting to like these pups, and they are an amazing education :shock:

Thanks again for all the input and encouragement!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
marks

Post by marks »

Still, a very nice pipe.
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I'll ditto that!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
flix

Post by flix »

Scott,

Well done! I for one like the birdseye on the bottom. It looks very exotic and unusual. I would've kept it smooth also, the briar is quite beautiful.

--Michael