Some briar-products: 1 pipe and 1 juwelcase...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

Some briar-products: 1 pipe and 1 juwelcase...

Post by Heinz_D »

Because in near future it's Christmas again, I needed a gift for my mother in law's new earrings. So I decided to make a nice juwelcase out of one of my briar blocks: :shock:

But I also finished another pipe! :lol:

It's about 140 mm long (stem 45 mm, stummel 95 mm). whidest diameter is 42 mm, diameter at the border is 28 mm. Height is 45 mm. The tobakko chamber is 38 x 19 mm. The stem is handcut from ebonit.

The shank diameter is 20 mm at both ends and 14 mm in the middle. The drilling is 4 mm up to the bit, which is 1.5 mm and ends in a 15 mm long V.

The grain is a wild mixture of cross grain and birdeyes, but also some less interesting areas...

I'm very happy, that the forum is online again and in a much better design! Thank you, Kurth! :wink:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
forrest

Post by forrest »

They look real nice. I like the grain patterns. Great job.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Very nice pipe, Heinz! I really like this one a lot, especially the shape. The stem and shank are very appealing.

On the finish. To my eye it is a bit too red, but still very nice. I think I might have been tempted to stain it darker and with less contrast to the stain. Is there a brownish blotch or cloudiness to the wax that can be seen in toward the top of the bowl in the first picture, or is that something funny with the photo?

I really like the overall shape on this. To my eye it flows very nicely. I really like the even flare on the shank toward the bowl and the stem, and stem works very nicely with it too. Excellent work, Heinz!

Oh, I like the box too, but what is it that you plan to smoke it there? The white substance looks highly suspiciuos! :wink: Just kidding, I'm sure your mother-in-law will love it!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Scott,

thank you for any comment to my work (suspicious substanzes included)... :P

In natur the stain isn't as red as on the pics. It's more light brown. I grinded down the contrast stain so much to better bring out the nice birdeyes - with a darker stain they're nearly invisible!

The "clouds" on the briar are reflections from the fotolight! I'm still not able to make better pics, but I'm working on this issue...

I'm proud for the shape, especially the shank! I think I'll make anotherone for myself, because this one was sold as I posted it on a German forum!
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Heinz, it occurs to me that, since we're using digital cameras, we could easily use plain old tungsten lights and, if necessary, fine tune by setting the white color balance as, I think, Kurt suggested elsewhere. With this easy solution, I reiterate my own suggestion of using a double-pole double-throw switch and a regular double outlet (with the links between the two broken) to allow you to switch from a series connection (low light level for setting up the photo) to parallel (full light output for taking the photo). Your set-up might be as simple as stretching two pieces of an old white bedsheet on either side to diffuse the light. Back in the old, old days I used a setup light this with photo-floods to make the lamps last longer, but with the advent of digital, we don't have to worry so much about color temperature any more . . . so give it a try with regular old light bulbs.

Oh . . . nearly forgot: NICE PIPE! Very lovely, and I like the contrast stain.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice pipe buddy. And a neat little box too. To mee, the pipe looks like it should have been bent. Flaired shanks always looks off to me in strait pipes. But this is more my preference. Execution wise, the pipe is very nice. Nice stemwork bud.