Believe it or not...I made a pipe!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Believe it or not...I made a pipe!

Post by Tyler »

My first in well over a year, I finished an elephant's foot that I started before my "retirement." Since it has been so long since I have made a pipe, and because my site no longer has my pipes on it, some new members of this site have never seen a pipe I made. Well, here you go. I thought it would be fun and helpful to post this, then tell you everything I see wrong with it. (I could do this with any pipe I have ever made, but there is no way in the world I would do that with a pipe I might have sold or be selling. Now that I don't sell pipes, I hope to show the flaws in order to help other see them to and improve their own work.)

As I usually need to disclaim, pardon the poor photos.

I would not sell this pipe be because of an issue visible on this side of the pipe. There is a gap between the bamboo and stummel that is visible in person. It demonstrates itself in these photos by a dark line between the bamboo and stummel. This flaw causes me to reject this pipe. I would not sell it. More evident in this photo, but less of an issue is the line visible in the stem that is the transition between the stem and the vulcanite ring on the end of the bamboo. This is less of an issue simply because it is relatively easy to fix. Since I am keeping this pipe, I called it close enough.

The top photo makes it look like there are tool marks on the edge of the stem. That is not the case. I'm not sure what that is in the photo.

The stem shape is good, but not perfect. I think it could still be improved with a tiny amount of material removed from the bottom of the stem near the bamboo, and then a shave along the top line of the stem from the bamboo through the curve.

I would also take the time to polish the extra stain out of the indent carved into the stummel to carry on the shape of the bamboo.

For this side I'll look at the stummel. This side is not as well shaped as the other, though the photos actually seem the opposite. Basically, the shank/bowl transition is too flat on this side. The line on the shank side of the bowl is not as good because of a flat area where I removed too much wood on the bowl beside the shank. Also, I think the curve on the outside edge of the bowl is a little to bulbous. I would flatten it a bit, especially on the top half.

As for finish, the edges show a little stain removal from buffing. Not bad, but it could be better. As with the stummel, I'd also polish the the indent in the stem. Both of these are issues that I would take care of if I wasn't keeping it.

I'd polish inside the slit if I were selling this pipe.

It is not totally evident in this photo, but the stem is a bit crooked. I lined the bamboo with delrin where the tenon from the stem fits, and I drilled that slightly off. The net result is a crook in the stem. That is why the stem isn't symmetrical. To fool the eye a bit, I have the stem unbalanced to one side of the hole through it. This makes the stem look to be better aligned with the bamboo than it really is.

One thing that is nice in this photo is it shows the overall symmetry of the stummel.

Overall, I like this pipe and am thrilled to be able to keep it. In conclusion though I'll make one more negative comment. The bowl is a it too small in relation to the length of the pipe. It is almost a mini- elephants foot. The overall shape would balance a little better with a slightly larger bowl.

So there it is. I hope this helps. I'm sure there's more to say, but I'm tired of typing!

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Great to see this over here, Tyler! And yes, your critique is is very helpful, thanks!

I think what looks like tool marks in the first photo may be artifacts from using a sharpening filter--likely in combibation with the way the light was hitting the edge of the stem there along with maybe some dust. I've seen very similar things turn up in some of my photos, but of course there are also tool marks on some of my pipes. :roll:

Speaking of photography issues. At some point I'd love to learn how to take better shots of my pipes.

Ok, well you've sold me on the idea of trying bamboo sometime. In spite of the issues with it that you mentioned in your critique, it looks fantastic on this one, and of course it's almost essential to use bamboo with this shape, as well as the Pick Axe and some others. Too many great pipe makers are using bamboo for me to ignore the need to try it much longer.

Do you do anything in particular to define where your transitions will be to get the grain paterns to pop on these kinds of shapes that capitalize on them? I've played with it a little, but it's all trial and error for me (mostly error) ... :cry:

Can't wait to see the other pipes you started and have yet to finish, should you be inclined to finish them at some point. If it were not for your particular avocation and my admiration of your your family commitment I'd say you were ignoring a higher calling here :wink:.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Scott,

Nothing to making the grain "pop" really. Just make flat spots parallel to the grain. :)

Really, it is the shape that makes things pop. If you know what you want from a shape, then pick the right block for the shape, you are good to go. A little water to bring out the grain as you shape can be helpful, but there is no magic. The right shape from the right block is the key.

This is a good time to point out that many Danish shapes were derived from maximizing the beauty of the grain. The blowfish is the perfect case in point. It is a wonderful shape for a cross-grained block. The sides of the pipe are shaped to highlight the birds eye as are the top and bottom lines of the pipe for the grain. The asymmetry of the shape is a natural product of the fact that the grain is radiating out in a v-pattern from the center of the burl the block was cut from, and so one side of the pipe will have a bigger birds eye panel than the other. Likewise, the elephants foot amounts to a blowfish rotated 90 deg. around the chamber. Now the birds eye panels are front and back, not on the sides, and the sides highlight the grain. It is painful to see how often this is not understood by some pipe makers. They make a blowfish or an elephants foot with no regard to the orientation of the grain on the shape and it is a mess. The grain is going one way and the shape another. It just doesn't work.

Tyler
sethile

Post by sethile »

Tyler wrote:Really, it is the shape that makes things pop. If you know what you want from a shape, then pick the right block for the shape, you are good to go. A little water to bring out the grain as you shape can be helpful, but there is no magic. The right shape from the right block is the key.
What, no magic method? I was hoping for a Bo button to push :cry:

Thanks Tyler, your explanation actually helps a lot. I'm still finding a lot of challanges to reading the grain and figuring out the shape within. I have a few blocks around now, but it's still rare for me to have a shape in mind and find a block that will work well for that specific shape. Yes, it's wonderful how the greats came up with these amazing original shapes to optimize the grain. I've still not tackled any of these beautiful shapes, but I'm sure looking forward to trying.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
flix

Post by flix »

Tyler,

I only saw the flaws when you mentioned them. Thanks for pointing them out so we can see how to approach a better overall presentation.

I'm concerned about using bamboo, since I've only made about 20 pipes so far. It may or may not happen in the future, so, this pipe is only a dream for now.

Thanks,

--Michael
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Michael,

What are your concerns about bamboo?

Tyler
flix

Post by flix »

Oh, the usual:
-what do I do to prevent it from splitting
-how do I make something metal to insert into the middle
-how to make delrin tenons without a lathe
from a poor guy suffering from being tool challenged!

I'll get there, just not for a while. Got to win the lottery and get some tool money first!

--Michael
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

flix wrote:Oh, the usual:
-what do I do to prevent it from splitting
-how do I make something metal to insert into the middle
-how to make delrin tenons without a lathe
from a poor guy suffering from being tool challenged!

I'll get there, just not for a while. Got to win the lottery and get some tool money first!

--Michael
Yeah, no lathe is a challenge. No metal lathe is a particular challenge. That said, bamboo splitting is not really a concern -- it is very tough stuff. Delrin tenons are unnecessary, and the only metal needed is metal tubing (the tubing is the used for tenons). It is certainly possible to make a bamboo-shanked pipe without a lathe, but you are probably right in waiting. There is so much one can do in pipemaking before working with bamboo that you might as well wait to tackle it when you have tools to make it easier.

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Bamboo is actually pretty easy to deal with. The only really difficult thing is getting the ends perpendicular - and that's made trivial by the use of a lathe. I did it a few times without a lathe, and it was extremely time consuming. With a lathe (I use a wood lathe) it became quite a 30 second affair to square up both sides.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com