New to Rustication

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
flix

New to Rustication

Post by flix »

Hi All Rusticators,

I've got my first rusticated pipe that is ready...for something that is. I've gotten the stummel ready with the rustication, the stem is sanded down to 400 grit and finished at the button, as well as bent. Now where do I go from here?

I am guessing that I:

1. stain the stummel with base color, walnut
2. stain with top color, black
3. rub it a little to get the walnut to show?
4. buff the stem?
5. buff the stummel?
6. carnauba wax?
7. final buff?

I've search for a complete process, but couldn't find it easily.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance, lads!

--Michael
marks

Post by marks »

There are probably several ways to do this, but here are some recommendations. Others may have different recommendations.

After rustication, one can
-Wire brush the pipe to remove loose bits of wood remaining from the rustication
-Sand the high spots lightly to smooth out the rustication to the hand. This gives it a nicer feel, less prickly.
-Stain as desired
-Brush the pipe with a stiff nylon brush to bring out the finish (like the type one can use to brush potatos)
-If desired, coat with very thin coats of shellac. This will really bring out a shine. Without the shellac, the finish will be a little more flat. Your preference here. Let each coat dry thoroughly.
-Wax with a loose wheel. The loose wheel gets into the recesses better than a sewn wheel.
-Buff with a dry, clean flannel wheel

Do not buff a rusticated pipe with buffing compound. You will regret it. Prior to waxing, you can buff with a loose wheel with no compound.

Some folks will melt carnuba and brush it onto the rusticated pipe. (make a little bowl with aluminum foil and heat in a pan to keep the pan from getting saturated with melted carnuba). Then heat with a hair dryer or heat gun and remelt the wax and dab off the excess with a paper towel or something suitable.

I did this once, and once only. The wax got into the pores of the briar, and as the pipe is smoked, wax rises to the surface and dries there. I then have to brush it off. This has been going on for a few years. I obviously melted too much wax onto the pipe. Maybe others have better results with this method.

Good luck
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi Michael,

I haven't had much luck buffing a rusticated pipe with carnuba. It seems that everytime I do it, it leaves a dusty grey film in the grooves or pores. You can see an example of this in my latest posting, aspecially the black stained pipe. I don't know, but maybe the buffing wheel leaves a residue from the cloth. From now on I stain and then shellac, except smooth ones.
All the best,
Tano
Nick

Post by Nick »

where da pix!?
flix

Post by flix »

Oh, yeah! The picture...forgot to add it yesterday, doh!

Here you go:

flix

Post by flix »

Mark and Tano,

I'll print out your advice and look it over. I'll probably not use shellac, as it's very messy. I've got time to come up with something for the craggy finish I want for this pipe, and others to come. I'll publish what I ended up with, probably some variation on a theme you've mentioned.

Thank you guys!

--Michael
Tano

Post by Tano »

Michael,

I like the finish you achived. Would you be interested in sharing what you used to get the nice lumpy texture, from start to finish?
All the best,
Tano
flix

Post by flix »

Hi Tano,

Sure, it's no secret! I built the "rusticator" from Tyler Beard's webpage, here's the link to the exact location:

Tyler's Rustication Tool