this is a bulldog with a green/black cumberland stem and

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
smokepiper

this is a bulldog with a green/black cumberland stem and

Post by smokepiper »

This is what i meant about using cumberland to smooth pipes it makes a effect unfocused of the pipes grain, the dog is quite nice if it weren´t for the cumberland.Image Image Image
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I dunno . . . looks pretty good to me :thumb:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool pipe. But the pictures don't show the stem color really well.
smokepiper

new pic.

Post by smokepiper »

multicolored stems is for bamboo or sandblasts the grain is unfocused when there is more than the briar that is colored. Image
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think it looks great! :D

Rad
smokepiper

i guess you all ain´t so grumpy as my mentor Bengt Carlson

Post by smokepiper »

The first thing he said was that the cumberland didn´t fit the smooth finish, otherwice the pipe was really nice and it was similar to one of Bo´s shapes. Bo made them more tight in shape and had a more forward slant to the head. Ilike the pipe myself but knowing the facts of what´s correct to combine i can´t really be satisfyed. Thanks for your comfort in this and the nice words, i guess the dog is OK...
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Looking at my last pipe and now at your's I think I know what you mean! The shape (your's) is very cool and the stem himself too - but both together can't match to a completely good looking pipe.

I think it is better to use black ore unique colred stems, if you want to lead the eyes of the beholder to the stummel!

Some stained finishes may match cumberland stems very well, but it seems to be difficult to figure out the right color.

Never the less the pipe is nice, even with the stem, but the stem doesn't get into the foreground, as you perhaps wanted to?
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
smokepiper

Thanks heinz

Post by smokepiper »

Thought i could make the point by posting the bulldog, i´m not in for critics towards your pipes just simply correcting the small misstakes we all do. Good that you understod my point.
Heinz_D wrote:Looking at my last pipe and now at your's I think I know what you mean! The shape (your's) is very cool and the stem himself too - but both together can't match to a completely good looking pipe.

I think it is better to use black ore unique colred stems, if you want to lead the eyes of the beholder to the stummel!

Some stained finishes may match cumberland stems very well, but it seems to be difficult to figure out the right color.

Never the less the pipe is nice, even with the stem, but the stem doesn't get into the foreground, as you perhaps wanted to?
sethile

Post by sethile »

That's a beautiful pipe! I agree that it would look better with an ebonite stem. Ebonite would be less distracting, and would draw less attention away from the beautiful shape. Still, it's a really fine piece.

I like cumberland (red and black) on rusticated and sandblast pipes where it ties into the dark inner and highlighted high spots on the stummel. Rad does that beautifully, and I've seen several other beautiful examples here.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
smokepiper

new angle

Post by smokepiper »

got this angle and the shape is qite nice Image
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I really like it, shape, size, and stem!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
marks

Post by marks »

Personally, I think it would look good with either black, green cumberland, or red cumberland. I really don't think you could screw up that pipe with any of the three. Each lends its own personality to the pipe, and I think it looks fine like it is.