French Wheel parts

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
BigLou

French Wheel parts

Post by BigLou »

Before I get to my question, I would like to take the opportunity of my first posting to thank everyone for the wonderful and helpful information shared on this forum. I have learned quite a bit by browsing the boards and reading posts. So thanks!

I have been doing the majority of my shaping with a 1" belt sander and have been pretty happy with it, but I have a spare motor and would like to build a French wheel and give that a whirl (sorry). Anyway, I have been haunting the aisles of the local hardware stores looking at all sort of sanding equipment and parts but I am not sure what will work best. I have seen lots of plastic discs for sanding with angle grinders and disks for use with drills. I have also seen the French wheel discs at pipemakers.org but they want a fortune for them.

So what are you using for the disc, and where did you get it? How does your sandpaper attach? Velcro? spray adhesive? bolts? Any help is appreciated.

Michael
www.BigLousBackRoom.com
JBW

Post by JBW »

Anyone have a good photo of a french wheel? The one at pipemakers.org is the only one I can find and it lacks enough detail. I tried a search but the search function appears not to work. Google didn't turn up anything useful either.
Thanks in advance,
Joel
Joel
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

JBW

Post by JBW »

Thanks, Tyler. That search worked much better. Still didn't get a photo, but there's some good info. :thumb:
Joel
ckr

Post by ckr »

Thenks Tyler,

It worked!! 8O

Hate to sound dumb, but as far as I knew the search never worked :? . At least not from that little box above. Wow, life is good.

Now, if I could just remember what it was I wanted to search for.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
BigLou

Post by BigLou »

After lots of searching and toil, I have managed to cobble together a French Wheel for under $35. Here are some pics.

The motor is an old washing machine motor that runs at either 1140 or 1750 rpm. It was purchased from a local repair shop for $5. The threaded work arbor ($5.25) and threaded 3 jaw chuck ($8.50) came from Lee Valley Tools. The sanding disc ($7.25) is made by 3M and the on/off/on toggle switch ($5.95) came from a local hardware store. The project box ($2.29) came from Radio Shack. All told this ran me $34.24.

Michael (Lou is the Dog)
ASB

Post by ASB »

Wow, that looks kinda scary. I'd have to build a plexiglass or wood housing for the thing if it was mine.

Why not just get a bench grinder?

Aaron